Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

raw data

Hey! Misho .... The MS (Sdk) uses 24 bit bmp raw data stuff ... Will the new version of TB use 24 bit (vs) 8 bit? Thanks ... Lon Gordon

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Lon,Forgive me if I answer, as Misho may be busy.TerraBuilder is a front-end for the Microsoft Terrain SDK - it does not modify in any way the input files that the terrain tools use.The previous version of resample.exe accepted RGB images and so does TerraBuilder.Best regards.Luis

Thank U Luis for taking a minute to respond .... I can follow directions but I have little understanding of the processes used in the software .... For me to get TB to work at all I have to use "image tool" to change the input bmp to a 8 bit image ... then after running TB I have to go to the textures created and change all of them to a 8 bit image B4 the new scenery will display in FS 2002 ... I guess I missed something along the way .... any suggestions .... thanks Lon Gordon

Hello Lon,That is quite an interesting situation. I am not quite sure that I understand what is going on.Normally, resample.exe accepts RGB images as input. The resulting "slices" are then converted to dxt format using ImageTool (although many of us prefer Elrond's FS Texture Converter or Martin Wright's DXTBmp, ConvIm, or the very specific ConvDXT.)Do you mean to say that you are using the PhotoTerrain option (NOT PhotoWizard) and that it will not accept an RGB image? I believe that the old-style PhotoWizard method limited both the resolution and dimensions of images, but PhotoTerrain should not.Please let us know precisely the steps that you are following and what you get as a result. Thanks.Best regards.Luis

Lon,when you say "RAW DATA" what do you mean by that? Altitude data or imagery?TB uses 24bit (RGB) imagery IF you're desgning for FS2002 (and I think for FS2000 as well) I know FS98 dealt only with 8-bit data. Taht's why there was a "check" for that, but as FS versions kept coming, I kept making exceptions. So, make sure TB is set for "FS2002" design.

Hey Luis & Misho ... Guess I've been going south when I should hve been going north ....Murphy's Law strikes agn .... Been trying to use one of the 24 bit bmp's found in the MS SDK for Niagara Falls (indicated as Raw Data) ... Had downloaded the Martin Wright stuff but did not know what to do with it ... So I'll play with it (ConvDXT)to see I can get the RGB thing file ... Luis ... I like UR Desert Island gismo .... Thanks agn ... Lon GordonPs I've only tried the Photo Wizard .... By the way, when I was a kid U had to turn the crank on the phone to get an operator, much of this stuff is just a puzzle to me ....

Hey, Lon, I can beat you on that one. I live out in the countryside and we did not even get phone service until 4 years ago.Anyway, as mentioned before, please do not use PhotoWizard. Use PhotoTerrain and everything will be fine.Once you get results, please post some screenshots here.Best regards.Luis