Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

putting pressure on Misho is counterproductive

I read this forum only to help those who are making custom photos work on scenery, but I'm troubled by the mounting pressure that seems to be being heaped on Misho.After some folks looked at the resample process with a hex editor and "discovered" the resample custom option...we've been studying what the "best" ways to design scenery in fs2002. Misho, naturally assumed that updating Terrabuilder is a logical step, he feels an obligation to his paying customers.Somewhere around last January, I commented to Elrond Elvish that Misho had a near impossible task. Why? Because the process is relatively straightforward to someone whos been designing for a long while, and those people have been designing photoreal for almost a year, we aren't waiting for terrabuilder. Yet, efforts to teach the process to the beginners has not been easy. So, Misho either had to accept an infinite barrage of help desk issues, or find a way to make this easy for a beginner yet flexible so that it will work.Now comes the clincher. Ever since then the sdks have been rolling out, each one promises some new twist or understanding. Sometimes there is something interesting in them, often not, yet to know which takes time...and how much should terrabuilder include? Just like Misho, its VASTLY impacted my productivity of releasing scenery packages...I've been working on a fs2k2 versions of my airports ever since I learned how to do photoreal, last fall. There just keeps on being new things to work out...I stopped to learn gmax, taxiway markings, and now land/watermasks.In all of this I've learned one major thing, designing for fs2k2 is different from any other version, one has access to a variety of techniques that come from different directions, and if you choose to try to release a user friendly gui to encapture it all, you have bitten off a much bigger job than the previous Terrabuilder versions had dealt with.finally, how much of the old to maintain....this has to be one of the most confusing things about the current terrabuilder version....Misho maintained the concepts of chunks, syth scenery, and likely some other things, so that users could still work on fs98 stuff, but it will TOTALLY screw you up if you try to work on fs2k2. Cut it out? keep it?I'm sure these are issues that Misho is wrestling with, and added pressure will likely cause him to do a weaker job of the end result. If his Dad is also ill again, it is just that much worse.What I suggest you folks do is spend your time doing scenery design using the tools that Msoft made available. That way, you'll learn what process terrabuilder will eventually automate for you, and you'll be able to help Misho, rather than bug him.Bob Bernstein

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I must agree with Bob's assessment. There is no need to badger Misho for a new version, especially as the actual version creates scenery with no problem at all.Best regards.Luis

Hi guys,I've been following this thread but was unable to respond over the weekend.Yes, my dad's condition is still serious. He's been in ICU for 4 months now - that has to be some kind of a record. Thanks for caring, guys.As it stands now, the TerraBuilder happily produces Photorealistic scenery - barring a few OS-related problems which I have since licked (by the means of doing away with the BAT file processing).The thing that has everyone confused is the apparently complicated process of producing the scenery using the PhotoTerrain Wizard. The clear, step by step instructions included in the release notes will produce results if followed precisely. Yet, there are users who chose to do things "their own way" and then complain that "things don't work". Therefore, I've decided to make it, for the lack of a better term, "idiot-proof". Making things "idiot-proof" is a VERY time-consuming task. You have to basically mimic all the key presses and forsee every possible contingency. I have no choice - it's either that or start calling people names, and I don't want to do that.The other thing is, MS keeps releasing SDKs that seem to be lacking in clarity, and I have to make up for that. The latest release included the 5 versions of seasonal imagery plus lightmap plus alpha channel, yet there is no mention in the tutorial of how to actually use this. That's ok, we can figure that out ourselves, we have been all this time.But my point is, just before the SDK release, I was about to implement some functionality into TB that the new SDK would render totally obsolete. I didn't luckily.This is what I have to struggle with, and this happened several times now. For instance, I implemented a really neat solution to the 4.8m/pix constraint to the imagery. There is a button called "Scenery Issues", and when activated, you get text file info on your scenery in a Problem-solution format. For example:Problem:Your image in x-direction does not conform to 4.8m/pix constraintSolution:re-size your image from 1253 pixels to 1982 pixels in x-direction This was done because resampler did a lousy job of resizing the imagery. Well, guess what? The new resampler does a much better job of resizing, making this functionality obsolete.

Hi Misho:I hope youy daddy will be better. You news are nice news. Go on qith the dreamed new TB version. A question: SDK says that the resolution is 4,75 m/pixel: Must you change the calculation from 4,8 to 4,75 ?Julio Estefan

That's a good question, but:With the new Resampler that does the "stretching" internally, there is NO NEED to resize the imagery outside TerraBuilder, as long as you are in a rough "ballpark" (approximately) to 4.75 m/pix.For instance, if you get your imagery from TerraServer, work with 4m/pix resolution. Then, load the image into TB and let resampler handle it. It will "stretch" the image slightly from 4m/pix to 4.75 m/pix.