Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Finally - All done!

Folks, I have finally put together a solution for PhotoTerrain scenery that does everything - without user interaction! After inserting all the relevant info into the PhotoTerrain Wizard, all the user has to do is start the FS, install the scenery and fly it! This will GREATLY help new users who got turned off with the seemingly complicated procedure that was needed for the previous version of PhotoTerrain Wizard.After the scenery is made, it is fully customizable with all the options and setting for the PRO user.A few issues:You will nedd an OLD set of tools (FS2000), found in the MS's FS2000 Terrain SDK:http://www.microsoft.com/games/fs2000/sdk/...terrain_sdk.EXEYou will also need a FSTexConverter and neccessary DLL libraries. Check Terrabuilder site in the Resources->Tools section for downloads.This process will work ONLY for FSTexConvert, because I haven't figured out yet how to include alpha channel images in ImageTool.This process is HIGHLY SPECIFIC. That is, I used a tried and tested approach which is very rigid, but it works. The user still has the ability to customize it.Due to technical issues, I had to revert back to BAT files, but I now check for post-Win9x compatibility, so they should execute fine.During the process, there are a LOT of intermediate files created - TerraBuilder cleans them all up, EXCEPT for the intermediate texture folders. Thee reason is, even after the process is created, FSTexConverter still works on those, and I have no way of trapping the instance when this is done so I can clean those up...For some reason I still don't have water surfaces appearing... I created scenery with water surfaces before so I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I'll investigate tonight.I'll update this thread with any other issues I think of...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

HeySounds great.Just what i need right nowBUT, where can i find the new TerrabuilderchrisFsteam.dk

Can't wait creating photorealistic scenery for the Netherlands!! Hope this time TB works fine with Windows XP. And I know Misho, quality needs time!!!Louis

And I got the water to show up properly! So - all issues are solved now.

Yes - It is done - except:In order to avoid confusion, I have to "cover" all the other cases. That is, when you have ALL the seasons, alpha AND lightmap (that's done!)ORlightmap onlyOR Alpha onlyOR Alpha and LightmapEVERY CASE needs different handling - that's why this has been such a difficult process. It's NOT going to be long now - even if I have to make some assumptions.I'm just trying to make this as easy as possible for the newcomers, while keeping it as flexible and customizable as possible for PROs.

Hello Misho,In some of my projects, I only resample summer textures - not much snow in the tropics.Will the new TerraBuilder require all seasonal variations or can one just resample one bitmap?Many thanks.Best regards.Luis

You will be able to resample only one bitmap - if you give it only one bitmap. This is what was holding me back, but I just tested this last night.HOWEVER: Night Textures require seasonal textures to be activated. So, if you're going to have night textures, you MUST supply seasonal ones.UNLESS: you don't mind gray squares showing up during all seasons except summerOR UNLESS: your scenery is in tropics, where there is no seasons (this is my case in Florida, where I'm working on Cape Canaveral scenery)( see what I had to put up with? :D )

Hi Misho and Luis.If you want night textures go ahead and make them with the seasons, and then copy and rename your summer textures to the appropriate seaonal name... sp, fa, wi, hw.Some regions do not use seasonal variations, so experiment.Dick

Hi Dick,>If you want night textures go ahead and make them with the >seasons, and then copy and rename your summer textures to >the appropriate seaonal name... sp, fa, wi, hw. You can do that by specifying the summer texture in all the seasonal fields in the new TerraBuilder.>>Some regions do not use seasonal variations, so experiment. I thought this largely depended on latitude - the more south you went, the less prominent seasonal variations were. Niagara region, which is at N43, has NO spring and Fall variations. They both show up as "mild winter", which is unfortunately incorrect.