Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

CellDimensionDeg... rhumba was wrong!

Hi all.I've been preaching the use of a different set of CellDimensionDeg numbers with landclass for a few days.That info is wrong. I cannot reproduce my experiment, and I now believe I simply extracted too small a sample from an uncompressed landclass TMF file, and then convinced myself I had discovered something.The person who has discovered something is Christian Stock.For months, Christian has been saying the data source for Landclass BGLs is 257x257. I, and the rest of the world, insisted on 256x256.But Christian is right.[Destination]DestDir = "."DestBaseFileName = "HomeCustomLC257"UseSourceDimensions = 1[source]Type = ClassU8SourceDir ="."SourceFile = "Home257.raw"Lon = -90Lat = 45NumOfCellsPerLine = 257NumOfLines = 257CellXdimensionDeg=0.0146484375CellYdimensionDeg=0.010986328125The CellXdimensionDeg numbers above are the numbers to use. The rounded off set given in the SDK is wrong. This, used with a 257x257 source, will produce an uncompressed TMF that has no corruption of the data... you can go right in with a hex editor and extract it.I'll spend a day or two with this, because the 257x257 grid is right... I'm not sure if all of it is visible! Tommorrow will tell.So, I'll eat some crow, now, and wash it down with a toast to Christian.:-beerchug Dick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You just wanted another good excuse to hoist another brewski! You devil you!I just wished I knew One iota as much as you guys do! I read this stuff in amazement!One of the most pleasant things between you scenery investigators is the way you handle conflicts. Your detente is worthy for applause. You all get more accomplished this way than throwing mud.Congrats to you all!!:-beerchug

Hi Dick,thanks to your research I finally tried the new resampler for the landclass. When there are only the two values 253 and 254, there is more effective compression in comparison to the old resampler, for all our country (six LOD5 quadrants) now only 3 kB. I suppose the size of the source isn't the essential number, it doesn't matter if the source oversteps the chosen quadrants in one or fifty lines.Looking forward to read your tutorial, thanks for it!

Hi Vlada.When using only 2 values, any landclass BGL will be tiny. Usually photoreal BGLS are tiny, because they use only these values... because the are identical BGLs!tmfcompress.exe with the old Resample squishes the BGL. The new resample compresses by default.The uncompressed landclass BGL is 67,177 bytes. 66049 bytes are the data ( 257x257 ), and I've found the data represents the verticies... not the actual ground tiles. The terrain engine builds the tiles by blending in the four textures that surround the vertex... or not blending if a CUSTOM point is indicated for the vertex ( then it must be surrounded by 4 specially named CUSTOM textures ).I've started a new forum thread here, in the MSFS Scenery Design Forum, as this forum is really for Misho's TerraBuilder program. Dick