Sign in to follow this  

niagra files are wrong color depth

Right off the bat when trying the tutorial, I ran into troubles. The software went right on my system but I keep running into problems when trying to load the BMPs. The default summer gave me the error. needs to be 256 colors. It just seems that the tutorial is lacking in basic information that is need to get us first-timers into action.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is just a rant but I have officially wasted a day and a have not gotten anything to work. I'll get over this and move on and figure this out. Until then...I'm a web developer and have had my share of difficult problems to overcome this one is right up there with some my most difficult database/web issues. I wish that, somehow, this were made easier. I think this whole scenery is cool but it is going to be put on hold until someone gets something that really works. You know, I really wouldn't mind paying if I could be certain that I'm not going to end up in some bottomless pit with the occasional forum post as my only way out.There are so many holes in the tutorials to fall into that I am really sure that I would not want to chance a purchase of this software. Sorry, I am sure I have just taken a left when I should have taken a right.

>This is just a rant but I have officially wasted a day and a >have not gotten anything to work. I'll get over this and >move on and figure this out. Until then... >>I'm a web developer and have had my share of difficult >problems to overcome this one is right up there with some my >most difficult database/web issues. I wish that, somehow, >this were made easier. I think this whole scenery is cool >but it is going to be put on hold until someone gets >something that really works. >>You know, I really wouldn't mind paying if I could be >certain that I'm not going to end up in some bottomless pit >with the occasional forum post as my only way out. >>There are so many holes in the tutorials to fall into that I >am really sure that I would not want to chance a purchase of >this software. >>Sorry, I am sure I have just taken a left when I should have >taken a right. Yes you have. You did 2 possible things:I am not sure why, but you are following Tutorial 1 PHOTOWIZARD. This has nothing to do with instructions that are in Release notes.You have chosen PhotoWizard instead PHOTOTERRAIN. Please choose PhotoTerrain (There is a big difference between the two) and follow the Release Notes CAREFULLY!

I expected to see some posts like this....Misho is in a tough position...the scenery design techniques that he's providing help with involve many more steps when you do them without terrabuilder, so many more chances for error...but that doesn't mean that Misho can make the design process REALLY easy for newbies....and there is no real convenient reference, perhaps the msoft sdks...but they have lots of holes as we know.My advice, accept a new reality, that the scenery design business is a complicated beast, made a bit simpler using good products like Misho's, but still complex..and that this forum is perhaps the worlds best reference for design. all of us that are comfortable with phototerrain got our comfort from dozens of posts and discussions on this and scenery design forum. You can read posts from me that were just as confused as yours if you want...go to the "read old forum", and go to November 2001 timeframe...a grand time of discovery for me. It was fun for me then but its driving you nuts now...the only difference is that I knew I was dealing with exploring the unknown, and you assume your exploring a mature and fully clarified zone. While the process is well defined now, it has many twists and turns, which no one has captured totally up to now.Best of luck,Bob BernsteinPS...I suspect you may know this but fs2k2 texture folders containing slices will usually be about 43k in filesize, these are "called" bmps but they are in the format dxt1 or dxt1+alhpa normally and will not be read by programs like photoshop or photopaint. Convert them to a windows bmp file and the file size should be around 193kb, assuming you have a normal 256x256 file. Now you can see them. Source files now can be 24bit color depth, and the slices will convert directly from 24bit color to dxt format...perhaps terrabuilder does that for you, I haven't studied Misho's work yet.

That note was made at the end of a very long day off. I think is is because this was the second attempt with nothing to show that tipped me off the edge. I am obviously doing something wrong. I'll give it another try. I'll keep looking at this post.Thanks.

Hi Misho,Since this is a recurring mistake by users (if my memory serves), maybe a bit of reorganization of the menu is in order.A suggestion might be to rename the two functions thus:CFS3+/FS2002+ PhotoTerrain...andCFS2-/FS2000- PhotoWizard...or some such. While the PhotoWizard can still come in handy in a few FS2002 situations as well (I believe?), its use is vastly diminished with the new methods - the above would help show that immediately. It also might help if you bumped up the PhotoTerrain menu option to the top of the sub-menu and move the PhotoWizard to the bottom, as this more accurately reflects their frequency of use. Finally, the ellipse (...) is missing from the PhotoTerrain option, even though its a popup-dialog/wizard as well. That can be confusing because it breaks standard UI design.Just some ideas to help alleviate this problem. One other thing that might be a great focus on the next version is some tool-tip help for menu items (shown in the statusbar for menu-items of course). This could really come in handy in the wizards themselves too - and throughout the entire UI. A perfect example of this is in the PhotoTerrain wizard: you have the four "buttons" to lock the coords in, but by simply looking at them one would have no idea what they do (indeed, its function has to be memorized because the visual doesn't really explain what it does). A popup-tooltip would be of great help here. This is just an example of course. An implimentation of a "Whats This?" feature throughout the UI or at least the wizards would really come in handy with TerraBuilder.Take care,Elrond"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."

I am getting the feeling that my problem here, amongst many, is that I don't have all the elements in order for this to work.Preferences - msflight sim 2002 - use object library methodPaths - C:fssdkFS2000 SDKTerrainC:Program FilesFS Texture ConverterFSTexConvert.exe These are the only two that I have set.Wizard/PhotoTerrain/Browsed for the imagespicked all correct images andselected corner and pasted 43.09936524 in top box-79.0869140 in left boxpassed on through next screen (step 3) by clicking nextI then set the source image location at:C:fssdkmyscenesFinishIt then went through a process and the images were processed and generally stuff happened.TerraBuilder popped up with the niagra area sectioned off into 16 sq sections and 4 slivers on the right. The 4 small section on the right were solid black - the color of the river. the lad was cut off in a stright line from top to bottom - the image didnt go all the way accross the sectioned off area.There was nothing that sad to doanything else so I loaded flight sim 2002 and tried to load the area but there was nothing in the C:fssdkmyscenes location that I had specified.Is there something in this that I did wrong? is there something that wasn't set up right?...

After the "stuff happens", you should have several (at least 6) textures in the "texture" folder (each 43 kb) and one BGL file in "scenery" sub folder.Perhaps you are not seeing the scenery, as it looks rather similar to the default.Try this:instead of the degrees specified, insert Lat 45, Long -45, create, install, and then go to that position in FS (somewhere in the North Atlantic) See if you can see the Niagara "patch" in the middle of the ocean.

Do you think that I, perhaps, did not configure ConTexConvet correctly. Do you have to click on that program (.exe) and specify the correct paths there?If so, what should the paths be?----When the whole thing is processing, it only takes about 10 seconds to finish.

When specifying Image Processor, you should go to FSTexConvert Firectory, find the .exe and double click on it. That's it.Do you or do you not have 43 kb images in the texture folder and a BGL in scenery folder?? If you do, everything went fine.

I see what the problem is:"I then set the source image location at:C:fssdkmyscenes"Do NOT do this. Accept the default-chosen loc. Textures are expected to be in the default location.I nrelease notes, I actually wrote down:"Create a new folder and place all of the Niagara Falls Source textures (files that end with BMP) in it:"and:"Finally, in step 4, confirm the location of the scenery. It is recommended that you keep this location because the this is where the original source bitmap resides and the SDK tools will look for it there."This folder will be your default project folder. Do not specify a new folder in Step 4 of the wizard.

Ok, thanks, I am on my way home. I'll give it a try and let you know. When, going through this, I found it difficult to follow what is important and what can be changed.

This is the most difficult understanding to properly teach with a process as complicated as this. for Misho to have programmed it, he had to get very familier with the process....once ur very familier with the process its hard to think like someone who's new to it, so that your writing provides background insight.Perhaps this is why some towns post road signs that are meaningless to out-of-towners, and ignored by locals. Hope tb works for you with Misho's change....B

Got home changed the directory and processed it once again and loaded it into flight2002 and it worked great. Now to figure out how to make grey scale pic into 6 different season/modes...and make it actually fit into my local area.