Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

LULC-DLG data

What program would one use to place Land Use Land Coverage and Digital Line Graph data, and how difficult is it?Richard L Hill

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Sorry, Richard, but I haven't got a slightest clue about these...The above data uses synthetic textures to create land and coasts. Photo Realistic scenery is the whole other end of the spectrum.Have you tried the general scenery design forum?

Hi Richard,You can use TerraScene 2 to create a generic but highly accurate TGA file based on LULC, DLG and other data (it downloads all the data it needs for the area you are doing automatically within the lower 48 united states - you can provide your own data for other areas of the world however). Once the TGA is produced, you would then convert it to a BMP file and treat it the same as any other PhotoReal project - using TerraBuilder to process it for instance. TerraScene can also be setup to create water masks, night lighting version, alternate season versions, etc (if you provide your own textures). TerraScene was originally created for the Fly! and Fly! II simulators, but it works just fine for FS sceneries as well. One note however: the textures it will use to create its TGA are the Fly! II generic textures (of which, you'll need Fly! II installed to get at them), so it won't blend in with Flight Simulators generic textures at the edges exactly. You can take the time to manually convert the generic FS textures and map them in to TerraScene by hand (based on LULC mappings), but nobody's done that to date as far as I know.An alternative method to using TerraScene 2 is to map the LULC data to specific solid colors instead of textures. It could then spit out a TGA file that could be used in the creation of extremely accurate LandClass sceneries - at a fraction of the size since LandClassing is an FS specific process that uses FS's built in generic textures and internal data. You'd want to ask about doing this type of thing in the .If interested in TerraScene 2 itself, you should be heading to the [link:ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=list&forum=DCForumID19&conf=DCConfID4]Fly! Developers Forum], as thats where TerraScene discussion takes place. As for the TerraScene 2 software, its available here in the AVSIM library:http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=12437Good luck,Elrond"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."[/font

Elrond;Thanks for the reply.If you would please e-mail me. Everytime I try to send a relpy I get cut off in the midle of it.richardlhll@wmconnect.comRichard L Hill

Jim,I tried Terrascene output (TGA) in FS2002 via TB sometime ago. It was always disappointing due to poor resolution as compared to FS2002 textures. I assumed it was due to 7 meter resolution in TS vs the 4.8 used in FS2002. The conversion left it as indistinct. I really love the coastlines though. While we await some development of software to take advantage of the secrets of the SDK, Terrascene is the only source for large scale coastline development.Dick

Hi Dick,Just a heads up: TerraScene itself has no resolution constraints in and of itself (as of v2.1)... It can create any output resolution you desire.There *is* a constraint on resolution based on the source textures you use however. Since by default TerraScene extracts and relies upon the Fly! II generic textures to build its imagery (which are designed at 7.5m/pixel) or the original Fly! texture packs (which were at 15m/pixel), there is no point in raising the final resolution any higher as it will be limited by the source texture resolution.If you desire 4.8m/pixel resolution from TerraScene, your best bet is to convert and map the Flight Simulator generic textures into TerraScene (which *are* 4.8m/pixel) or create your own - then set your project for 4.8m/p output. This should blend exactly with the FS generics once imported.A better bet for FS2002 however would be to use TerraScene to help in the creation of LandClass BGLs instead of PhotoReal projects. That is, unless your project has updated or new coastlines you want imported - LandClassing won't change the default coastlines (I don't believe?). If coasts don't matter however, this would accomplish the same thing with an extremely small BGL file (along with any spot custom textures you'd wish to use for certain areas, as long as you are willing to do some BGLC work).Take care,Elrond"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."

Hi Richard,I apologize, but I don't give out my email address anymore. Since I am not active in sim development these days, I try to keep my email account free for business use only.I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have here, if I can. There are others that know a heck of a lot more about FS LandClassing and TerraScene procedures than I, but I'd be happy to help if possible.Take care,Elrond"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."

Elrond,I've been trying to get TerraScene 2.1 to output 4.8 m/pix images forever, but haven't been able to...I am using my FS2002 "converted" textures within TerraScene, so they should be 4.8 m/p.I created my own texture set using these textures and none of the Fly sets.In the "Project Options" window where we are presented with the output resolution, it defaults at 7.5. When I enter 4.8 and hit , it thinks for a half a second and reverts back to 7.5!If you could help me in getting it working as 4.8 m/p output, it would be GREATELY appreciated!!-Greg

Hi Greg,Since this is being discussed in the FS Scenery forum as well, I replied there. I think you saw Jims reply already though. :-)Take care,Elrond "A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."