Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Photo Sources

Now that Terrabuilder is a streamlined process there is a need for sources of photos to lay down over our favorite mesh. I thought that there used to be a large view capability on Terraserver but sems to be gone now. Used to be a program that integrated the Terraserver tiles as well. Might be fun to colorize but the little snal shots are not worth it.Any other sources that offer a large area for use with TB?? (free)Dick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I noticed the change on the terraserver site....does anyone know if the old site is still available? Perhaps an old url lurking that would still work?B

Guys, check your links again!http://terraserver.microsoft.com/Terraserver rocks!!! ( continental US coverage )You have to use "Download" f'n on the top menu in conjuction with the "large" image size. Then the output spews 800x600 image wich is VERY workable. There is also a mode for accurate coordinate display!I use this all the time!

There used to be a much larger area available that integrated the many individual shots quite well. The 800x600 is a bit limited. I also am getting many run-time server errors at various points as well. Still seems like the best source.Once-upon-a-time there was a program that integrated each Terraserver element into a large composite. That lost favor when they offered the larger composite online. Now that they have decided to sell what that tax payers have already paid for (double taxation) we are left with the very restricted views.Dick

I've never seen TerraServer offer integrated image up to now. You could download individual slice and then had to put the mosaic together. Those slices were, I thing, 256x256. now, the slices are at least 800x600. After that, they came up with a scheme that would not let you cut image into a clipboard, and not even screen capture. They gave up on that after a while.The coverage used to include very limited areas of the world, and that used to be a Soviet-era de-classified spy satelite imagery (infra-red!) which were very hard to work with.I am not sure what you think they are making you pay for. There are resolutions available from 16 m/pix down to 1m/pix, all browsable and freely downloadable.Also, there is an EarthExplorer site http://edcsns17.cr.usgs.gov/EarthExplorer/ that offers the same USGS OrthoPhoto imagery, but at 8m/pix res for free previews. Some of this stuff is in colour, or at least "false" colour (vegetation shows up red). It's worth looking at, though.

Hello Dick,Doug Cox makes a program called USAPhotoMaps that automatically downloads any image from that server that you want. You determine the extents and it does the rest. Get it here:http://jdmcox.com/He regularly updates and improves the program.You will also need his BigJPEG program to convert the images into a usable form.Mr. Cox' programs are a real boon to scenery design.Best regards.Luis

WOW - This IS a welcome help! The TerraServer downloading has never been easier! Thanks!!!