Sign in to follow this  

LOD8 size image and Terrabuilder?

Why can't I get a larger LOD size than 9 in terrabuilder? Average size of image is around 4000 pixels. When I bump that up to LOD8 and an image of around 8100 pixels, resampler tells me image not found! Whats up with that?Cas

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am not even sure how/why you are doing this. PhotoTerrain LOD setting is LOCKED at LOD13 - a Microsoft Terrain SDK requirement. This is the size of the 4.8m/pix scenery resolution.Are you working in PhotoTerrain, or are you attempting to create Mesh with TerraBuilder?

What I mean by LOD8 are the boundries. LOD8 image size would be I believe a 32x32 LOD13 squares. LOD9 would be one quarter of that. Im using LODCALC to find the boundries of this LOD8 square to create the image in Terrascene.Cas

Hi Cas.If you're using LODCalc, remember to add a 'border' to the calc's data. The old resample won't allow you to use exact boundries. What I do is round the borders out in Terrascene. I round the north bounds up to the next 5' ( 5 minutes ), the south down to the previous 5 minutes, the west westward 5 minutes, and the east eastward 5 mnutes. This gives a large image slightly bigger than the LOD8 sized area you want. The actual bounds of the image are found in Terrascene's output folder, right next to the TARGA image, in the filename.txt file. The LODcalc's borders are needd for the INF file output. Resample will trim this extra border away. Here's a sample INF I used with a Terrascene image to produce a full 1024 slices to cover an LOD8 area with perfect placement:; Madison LOD8[source]Type = CUSTOMSourceDir = "."SourceFile = "Madison.bmp"Lat = 43.25Lon = -89.5831CellXdimensionDeg = 5.8803953206938281565147236789028e-5CellYdimensionDeg = 4.312163839470417873396772858916e-5NumOfCellsPerLine = 9916NumOfLines = 9668[Destination]DestDir = "."DestBaseFileName = "Madison"UseSourceDimensions = 0NorthLat = 43.242187500SouthLat = 42.890625000EastLong = -89.0625WestLong = -89.53125; textures.lowerLeft.latitude=42.8331; textures.lowerLeft.longitude=-89.5831; textures.upperRight.latitude=43.25; textures.upperRight.longitude=-89.0; X span = ( 89.5831 - 89.0 ) = 0.5831; CellXdimensionDeg = ( 0.5831 / 9916 ) = 5.8803953206938281565147236789028e-5; Y span = ( 43.25 - 42.8331 ) = 0.4169; CellYdimensionDeg = (0.4169 / 9668 ) = 4.312163839470417873396772858916e-5This was for the LOD8 area covering Madison, Wisconsin. The "; textures.lowerLeft.latitude=42.8331" type lines are comments cut from the 'Madison.txt' Terrascene output. The "NorthLat = 43.242187500" type lines were from LODCalc. The commented span and cell calculations used these figures. The calculations can go quick, if you use MS's 'calc.exe', found in the system folder... it allows you to cut'n'paste with ctrl-c and crtl-v, and accepts parenthetical expressions! Cut the formula, paste it to calc, copy the result, and paste it back to the INF file.I've done 6 adjacent LOD8 areas in Southern Wisconsin using Terrascene2.1 and the old resample.exe. The slices are crisp, and placed with amazing exactitude... even diagonal city streets line up across the borders where the different BGLs meet! This is placement accuracy right down to the 4.8 meter level! A couple of times my roads seemed to join 'off' by a few pixels... rechecked my INF calculations, and I had the wrong figures...resampled with the right math...BINGO... exactly joined.Dick

Hi Cas.Don't blame me, or Misho... blame MS. Both versions of resample are based on integer math, and contain 'rounding' errors. If you look at your INF file and then watch the numbers come up while resample starts working, you'll often see your INF numbers don't match what reasample is doing.I had mistakenly thought resample would work exactly to an LOD8 bounds if the math in the INF was right... it cannot. It can trim your image to an exact LOD8, though, and that requires exact math.If someone were to come up with a program to create slices, and properly name them, from an exact LOD8 image at 8192x8192 pixels, We could think about avoiding resample entirely. But, truthfully, if your math is good, and the image near to a 1:1 resampling, then the OLD resample does a pretty fair job.Dick

When Cas wrote, "Now you tell me to add around the edge, Thanks.Cas", I was hoping it was with a smiley!!!;) I just wish I understood a tenth of this!:-hmmm

I'm from Eau Claire, You wouldn't want to send your version of Madison to me would you?By the way, have you downloaded the Oshkosh Airshow from Microsoft? It has aircraft and textures for that area. Looks really good.

Hi artjunky.My Madison scenery is 37Mb zipped ( one season ). I don't see any way I can send it anywhere... it's too big. Besides, I'm still fooling with texture assignmentsIf I ever add seasons and autogen, it will be about 270Mb. I have 6 such sceneries for SE Wisconsin... so they may eventually go to 1.6Gb... at least 2 cd's zipped... then there's mesh to be made...The scenery isn't photoreal, but CUSTOM derived from Terrascene2.1 images. Dick

Just a thought...You could put your BIG files on KAZAA and give us the filename of your zipfile. e.g. Madisonscenery37mb.zipThis way we, the flightsimmers, would search for that file and the others, the music-thieves would leave the file alone.Greetings,Bassy