Sign in to follow this  

Help with TB 1.56 for FS98

I am practicing learning TB on FS98 until I can get a computer powerful enough to run FS2k2. In the meantime I have run up against a problem that has consumed my entire week, so I thought I would ask for help from the experts.I have taken a map and created from it a grayscale and a texture.I started out with both being 1024x2048. Both bmp's are converted to 8/256 using the FS98 palette. Both bmp's are arounf 2mb each.TB takes a long time to process the altitude map, but seem sto cut the textures just fine. When I process the bgl I get a no-go! Tells me there are too many errors.I took both bmp's down to 1024x1024 (yes the map is warped a little)and once I got the bgl to process, but the textures would not show up. So I restarted from scratch, but this time the bgl would not process - too many errors message.Anyone know what I might be doing wrong? Is my grayscale map too big?It is of American Samoa which is very mountainous so there is a lot of detail in the grayscale.Any help would be most appreciated.Thanks,Tom Burnett

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

First:Working on FS98 is a waste of time: I understand that you computer cannot handle FS2K2, but when you eventually upgrade, you will have to re-learn everything, because scenery design for FS98 and for FS2K2 have nothing in common.>I have taken a map and created from it a grayscale and a >texture. Do NOT have altitude map the same size as texture! Size it down to Max 256x256. It should match the number of altitude nodes - one alt record for every node.When I process the bgl I get >a no-go! Tells me there are too many errors. Not sure what this is...

Thank you for your reply. I resized the altitude map and that helped speed up the processing considerably. I have gotten everything to work once, and I discoverd the coastline creep problem and corrected the altitude map but it would not let me compile again.It just seems to be so hit or miss. If you have any other suggestionsI would appreciate it. I'll keep trying and hopefully in 2 weeks I will have built my new computer for FS2k2. TB looks much easier to use with it.Thanks again,Tom

I still do not understand what is going wrong. I have a bitmap of an island formatted 1024x1024 8/256 and a greyscale image 256x256 8/256, both in resolution of 72 pixels. TB processes the textures just fine, but when compiling the bgl I keep getting a message "too many errors", sometimes it enumerates the errors (40 or 61) with this type of error message:Line 3227Bitmap 20001.23-> ')' expected!!!I have even used the tutorial images and the same thing happens.Any explanation as to what I am doing wrong?Thanks,Tom

In TerraBuilder Properties (Under File->Preferences) there is a "general" tab. Find the "Use Object Library Method" check box and un-check it. Try again (from scratch)

Misho,Thanks for the reply, but in my version their is not a Preference option under the file menu. Is is possible I have a corrupted program or I am missing something else?

Ooops you're right, this is OLD version.Other thing that it could be:Whare do you live? If you're in Europe, your windows version makes a decimal point ",", NOT "."SCASM doesn't like that, (actually, it hates it :D)Look at Terrabuilder site, Help/FAQ section, Question 1.

Actually I live in the U.S. (Texas). Is there something that I could be doing wrong concerning the texture bmp or the altitude map?Thanks again