Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Shape files

Is TerraBuilder capable of using Shape files to render water, lake, city, and transportation. I know one can use TerraScene to make the immages then convert to BMP for use in TerraBuilder, but would like to know if one can accomplish this with TerraBuilder alone!Richard Hill

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

No, sorry!TerraBuilder does not make images - it is a front end to Microsoft's SDK. It needs a bitmap input - whatever that input looks like (they could be playboy centerfolds for all it cares :D )

Thanks, Misho, that is a great idea! I have always wanted to land on a naked lady. Thanks to TerraBuilder, it can be done. But, will the AvSim library allow the add-on?Best regards.Luis

They might, if we AUTOGEN her private parts!!! :D hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!(now THERE'S the ultimate bush scenery :D )

Thanks; While funny this no help in the search for my question.Richard Hill

You are correct - it got out of hand.However, there is nothing exremely complicated about using the 2-step process of TerraScene and TerraBuilder...If TB implemented what TS is doing I would be just duplicating all the hard work TS creators already acomplished.Aside from TS, there are many other landscape image generators: Bryce 3D, TerraGen... so, there are choices to the approach in the design of the pseudo-photorealistic scenery as a source of bitmap to be processed by TerraBuilder. I myself am working on a hand-painted texture of Mt. Kilimanjaro, using the various photographic samples. There are some excellent new screenshots of the TS-generated, TB processed scenery in this forum worth taking a look.Aside from a few new improvements and "nice-to-haves", TB is pretty much acomplishing everything I intended it to.

Hi Misho.Yes, you're right. It isn't a very complicated process... just 2 steps as you say. The Terrascene output is a TARGA image that is easily converted to a 24-bit bitmap by most paint programs. Terrascene also gives a text file that includes the exact bounds of the pseudo-photoreal image. So it all works together quite well.In another forum, I think I directed Richard towards an answer he needs. But there is no way, or need, to directly produce CUSTOM textures from shapefiles.In months to come, we might get some software to produce LWM and VTP polys and lines from shapefile data. That would bypass the need for Terrascene and TerraBuilder for this type of 'psuedo-photoreal', as the polys could be layered onto the scenery directly, using default textures. Essentially, this is the type of software MS used for making their default lakes, and shorelines and roads. I think they used vmap0 data, or it's equivalent, as the shapes of lakes and coasts and roads is identical to that data. If they had used better data, the sim would already be 'pseudo-photoreal'!DickDick