Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

FsTexConvert

A little help would be appreciated. No matter what format I use for the texture slices in the base folder and alpha folder, I get the same error message "Bitmap image is not valid"Could somebody please let me know the definitive answer to what format these textures must be.Regards,Tosh

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Chris,Perhaps you could indicate what format you are using when you get the error.My textures are all RGB when resampled, including the water mask. The slices are then converted by FS Texture Converter with no problem.I seem to remember that Elrond has implemented a pre-conversion process for the alpha mask, in case they are RGB.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis,>Perhaps you could indicate what format you are using when >you get the error. That's the whole point. Any format. It doesn't seem to matter what the source is because Resample changes the output slices to 16 MillRGB.When I enter source, alpha and output locations and then hit convert I always get "Bitmap image is not valid"I have checked Martin's .dll versions and they are okay.I am stumped and frustrated.Regards,Tosh

Hi Tosh,Martin's DLLs support 24bit BMPs for the normal textures, and 8bit (256 shade) BMPs for the alpha textures. I do no pre-conversion of the normal textures before calling his DLL for normal only processing, as 24bit is the format that resample.exe creates. If any alpha slices are present, I *do* internally pre-convert those alpha slices to 8bit before calling his DLL - since resample.exe spits out 24bit slices there as well. Only on the alpha slices do I do any pre-conversion.So, as long as you have 24bit standard BMP slices for both normal and optional alpha textures, all will work properly. If you do provide pre-existing 8bit slices, make sure you are not saving them with RLE compression as that isn't directly supported.Good luck,Elrond"A musician without the RIAA, is like a fish without a bicycle."

Hi Elrond,>Martin's DLLs support 24bit BMPs for the normal textures, >and 8bit (256 shade) BMPs for the alpha textures.>So, as long as you have 24bit standard BMP slices for both >normal and optional alpha textures, all will work properly. Now I am even more confused!Actually, I am doing exactly as you have suggested. I run the source image and the alpha image through resample using an almost identical .inf file. I place the source slices in a source folder, the alpha slices in an alpha folder. Both sets of slices are 24bit 256x256 images as produced by resample. I fill in the source, alpha and destination folders in FsTexConvert and click the convert button.Every time I get "Bitmap image is not valid"I am using the "old" resample and Martin's most current .DLLsWhat is also interesting is that I am unable to do anything unless I place info into the "optional" alpha folder box. With this box empty the "Convert" button remains grey'd out.Regards,Tosh

Hi Tosh.Here's a batch file I recently used with Elrond's utility, Imagetool, and resample. These tools, the batchfile, the INFs, and the source bitmaps need to reside in the same folder. The Bitmap and it's watermask are both assumed to be 24-bit.mkdir Delavanmkdir DelavanScenerymkdir DelavanTexturemkdir DelavanBaseTexturemkdir DelavanAlphaoldresample Delavan.inftmfcompress Delavan.tmf DelavanC.tmftmf2bgl DelavanC.tmf Delavan.bglcopy 0*.bmp DelavanBaseTexture*.bmpdel "0*.bmp"copy "Delavan.bgl" DelavanSceneryDelavan.BGL"resample Delavanw.infcopy 0*.bmp DelavanAlpha*.bmpimagetool -nogui -8 -nomip -batch DelavanAlpha*.bmpdel "*.mip"del "0*.bmp"del *.bgldel *.tmfcall FSTexConvert.exe -b:"DelavanBaseTexture" -a:"DelavanAlpha" -o:"DelavanTexture" -t:1 -v:nrmdir /s /q DelavanAlpharmdir /s /q DelavanBaseTextureMaybe this will help?Dick