Sign in to follow this  

Question on the new TB

Hi Misho,I am finding the "scenery issues" information very useful. However I am a little confused, so a few questions.After the compile process ( pity it can't be BEFORE ) I am told that my image has to be reduced in width by 1 pixel. I reduce the image by 1 pixel and reload the project. The "scenery issues" then tell me that my image is correctly sized. How do I then re-run the compile process?As an extra to the above question, can I load all info into TB, NOT compile but be able to check "scenery issues", save project, adjust source images in external program, re-load project, check "scenery issues" to confirm dimensions and then finally compile?As I have not figured out how to re-run the process I re-create the project from scratch with the re-sized bitmap and re-compile. "scenery issues" then tells me that my image has to be reduced by 1 pixel again. ( a total of 2 pixels now ). This process seems to continue. I havn't found out how many times yet.Just so that I fully understand, this process is intended to resize the bitmaps to ultimately require resample to NOT stretch the image during processing. Correct?After resizing the image, am I not required to adjust NumOfCellsPerLine and NumOfLines manually in the created project .inf file to reflect the new image dimensions?If I delete the slices created by TB in the texture and alpha folders, am I now able to re-run the project or do I have to start from scratch?Any help would be appreciated.Regards,Tosh

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Tosh,Those are very good questions, as I am working on fixing these very issues.>I am finding the "scenery issues" information very useful. >However I am a little confused, so a few questions. >>After the compile process ( pity it can't be BEFORE ) I am >told that my image has to be reduced in width by 1 pixel. I >reduce the image by 1 pixel and reload the project. The >"scenery issues" then tell me that my image is correctly >sized. How do I then re-run the compile process? First - Ignore 1 pixel warning - this warning is caused by imprecision and it is NOT related to the design issues. I will put a "1 pixel check" and ignore it in the future. I even wouldn't worry about up to 10 pixel warning - resampler will stretch the image just slightly, which should be barely noticeable.Second - You re-compile the process by selecting BGL button ("compile to BGL format"), and from the "Terrain SDK Builder" main control panel, select "Run whole process". If your project has one Destination for each Source section (as it would if it was created in wizard), use "resample pairs" button.>>As an extra to the above question, can I load all info into >TB, NOT compile but be able to check "scenery issues", save >project, adjust source images in external program, re-load >project, check "scenery issues" to confirm dimensions and >then finally compile? Yes. That is what "scenery issues" is instructing you to do. You ARE forced to compile when you create scenery for the first time from the wizard, but I will insert a check button into the final step of the wizard that will disable compilation if user wishes so. Just make sure you SAVE the project after it was created/compiled in the Wizard. TB saves the PRJ file, but the main controling file for the Terrain SDK side of things is actually an INF file created - DO NOT erase it or you will have to re-create the project. You can even edit the main INF file and the changes will be reflected/loaded when the project loads. Do NOT change the name of the main source bitmap - the project will not be able to load it. Also, as you may have noticed, TB names the INF file using the name of the main source bitmap.>>As I have not figured out how to re-run the process I >re-create the project from scratch with the re-sized bitmap >and re-compile. "scenery issues" then tells me that my image >has to be reduced by 1 pixel again. ( a total of 2 pixels >now ). This process seems to continue. I havn't found out >how many times yet. >Yes - it always does that first time around due to the imprecision. Just ignore it, as I said above.>Just so that I fully understand, this process is intended to >resize the bitmaps to ultimately require resample to NOT >stretch the image during processing. Correct? Precisely. OLD "resample.exe" does PIXEL RESIZE. For instance, to double the image size, it makes identical 4 pixels out of one. Properly resized image would take into consideration the color of the neighbouring pixels and do a blending job. As a result, the resized textures look low res and blocky. Therefore, you need to use a photo editing software and use a bi-linear or bi-cubic resizing method.>>After resizing the image, am I not required to adjust >NumOfCellsPerLine and NumOfLines manually in the created >project .inf file to reflect the new image dimensions? You have just discovered a MAJOR bug. I just checked and I am NOT (for whatever reason) updating this in the INF file. I will fix this in the new version. In the mean time, you will need to re-create the project in the Wizard. Since you have re-sized the image to the required size for it to be at 4.8m/pix, the default setting of 4.8m/pix will be correct. The created INF file will have the updated correct NumOfCellsPerLine and NumOfLines info! Thanks!>>If I delete the slices created by TB in the texture and >alpha folders, am I now able to re-run the project or do I >have to start from scratch? You are actually encouraged to delete ALL created sub folders (should be 4). Leave only INF file and the source textures.