Sign in to follow this  

I appreciate constructive criticism, but...

TerraBuilder works and does everything it is supposed to do. I cannot cater to anyone's "special case" and introduce features they would like to have, because there will be no end to this.If you are a "power user", a little bit of creative thinking will solve the problem. If you get stuck, ask here! This is what this forum is for. Most of the questions I get stem from a lack of basic understanding of the LOD grid and FS2K2 scenery structure. Please: If you're going to seriously get into this, read up and learn as much as you can.There is plenty of info if you browse this forum. Use "search" feature to zero in on a particular topic.Every case needs a different approach, and it is usually unique. It is unreasonable to ask of me to implement a solution to someone's particular problem, when it can be solved with a bit of creative thinking.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Misho, is this post directed at all readers of this forum? It may be a confusing thing, and kind of feels like the general reader is being disciplined. You know, of course, that most of your readers don't post at all, and many of the posters don't ask for new features.Bob Bernstein

>Misho, is this post directed at all readers of this forum? No, not at all. I keep getting some feature requests through my e-mail help line, and I feel I waste time answering a lot of obvious questions, again and again. Mostly, new users DO NOT read "release notes" doc.Ocasionally, someone asks for a feature for which I see no obvious reason. Recently, someone asked for a feature that would "generate TMF file only, without resampling". This demonstrates the lack of understanding of what resampler actually does, and all I asked is that users at least explain to me why they think that feature would be neccessary.Another type of request is simply ridicoulous to implement. If someone asks "Please make TerraBuilder colorize seasonal textures as well, I think that would be really cool feature", do I bother answering? And what do I say, over and over again?

I do sympathize...its like the process just can't be simple enough for new users because colorizing is still needed and it isn't easy for most new users to do that. And the notion of LOD13 grid is not easy for newbies either, and if you get confused about the point of the grid, you could easily misunderstand the role of resample.exe and drive the process down the wrong path.I discussed this a bit with Elrond Elvish nearly a year ago, you were (and are) in a bit of a pickle. Having released a commercial product, there is a natural expectation for you to maintain your product's relevance. Yet the complexity of the process, as it's evolved, now requires a higher level of process understanding from the user than perhaps it did before. You have ably automated the tasks, yet there is low satisfaction for a new user in that automation until they understand the basis for it all...you justly put the responsibility for gaining that understanding on their shoulders, but they (equally justly) understand terrabuilder to be their shortcut, and when they consider buying the product, they are not likely to recognize the homework required. Once they see homework is required, its pretty easy to understand them asking you to work that for them, as they feel that by buying the product, they bought themselves out of having to learn difficult concepts. Having said that, I made my first post mostly because you do have a few users who seem to make most of the posts that would annoy me, if terrabuilder was my product. I think we'd all be better for it if you'd work those problems privately, and let the rest of us engage is free dialogue. This forum has been (for the last year) as much (or more) about the resample process as it has been about terrabuilder, the product. I believe the post about colorization fits that former notion, discussion that brought forth several methods of colorization...what a good thing for the state of the art, right?cheers,Bob Bernstein