Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

I also appreciate constructive criticism but... :-)

Dear Misho:I am sure, that my poor english is not enought to explain me correctly. I SUGGEST to you; DO NOT ASK TO YOU. I think that both expressions are not the same.You has written:***************Ocasionally, someone asks for a feature for which I see no obvious reason. Recently, someone asked for a feature that would "generate TMF file only, without resampling". This demonstrates the lack of understanding of what resampler actually does, and all I asked is that users at least explain to me why they think that feature would be neccessary****************That someone it

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Julio, you are right that language is a problem. I wish I knew spanish as well as you know english, I'd be proud.. and yet Misho is in a difficult spot.My words may be taken as insulting to Misho, I hope that doesn't happen, but you may see Misho as more of a general scenery guru than I beleive he is comfortable with. He is likely having trouble seperating your questions between questions posed by a scenery student to a scenery guru or questions posed by an unhappy customerRealize that Misho had to start over learning the SDK method for custom scenery at the same time as you and I. We both have learned to design custom replacment textures without terrabuilder, right? While I give Misho much credit for persuing the update to TB, he may not understand the process any better than we do.While he likely would enjoy mutual discussion over where we can all improve the general process better, by asking him if his product can do new things kind of puts the burden on him to figure it out.It took many people combining our brains to figure out the basic process that we know. Misho was involved, but so were many others. Read the archieves of this forum back a year ago. Elrond, Christian, a mysterious fellow named Michael (who I suspect was Microsoft), myself, and many others. That's how best to chase new capability. Now think about this. A year ago, we ironed out the process that TB uses. Since then, Misho has had to program this process into an interface that he feels ok about charging people money for. That means he's had MUCH LESS time to learn new things than you and I have. He's had LESS time to actually design scenery than you and I have. I think that he'd more appreciate your ideas if you led an effort to figure out how the idea would work and then taught him how to add the new idea, rather than ask him how.You have shown the world your talent at scenery design. You cannot now pose as a student designer at the knee of the master. It is time for you to take your place as a master yourself. Doing a project as big and excellant as Rioja has given you all kinds of new ideas on how things could be better. Lets all have a good discussion over how the process can be done better, but not by expecting Terrabuilder to change. Misho probably can't recoup his costs on the product now, and if he's kept constantly working on it he becomes a slave to our good ideas.Hope this makes sense, and I hope that no one feels offended after reading this.Best,Bob Bernstein

Hello Bob:I must to thanks your nice words. I think like you. I

Guys, thanks for your answers.Julio, I'm sorry if I have offended you, you KNOW I didn't mean to. This was supposed to be just a simple argument - if we were talking in person, I'd yell at you, you'd yell at me, and we'd be both laughing at the end. This is how things get done!The problem is:You have been designing scenery for a long time now, and your Roja scenery is a testament to your talent. You asked me (basically) if re-sampling can be avoided if the scenery is moved a bit, and you're still asking me that. I am telling you: NO. LOD grid is FIXED to Earth: If you move the entire picture, ALL of the LOD chunks of the scenery are changed now. That means that you have to resample ALL of the images. Sorry, but that's just the way it works. We are not dealing anymore with a scenery that used to "float" over the default scenery and was easily moved.All I am saying is that, with the design experience you have, I am surprised that you don't seem to understand this concept. Let me know if you need more explanation. I'll draw you picures, heck, I'll make a Flash movie if needed! Just so you understand how this works!Inserting an -n switch is easy - I'll do it if you want me to! But when you use it and you realize that it doesn't work, I'll have to tell you "I told you so, my friend" :-)

Hi JulioI have just one question Why are you doing such a large area in one block. I find it a lot better to cut in into smaller areas and in makeit a lot easier to work with.I am doing a large area of about 80 x 80 kilometers and I have made itinto 8 areas Cheers nvs

Perhaps he is doing it in one large block because it would be a nightmare to properly align 8 areas. You would have to cut them precisely along the LOD grid lines.

Two points:First, I think that it makes sense to handle the largest area your system can comfortably deal with. This will vary greatly depending on your system though -- I suspect that Julio has a much more powerful system than me! For instance, I am able to deal with an image of 140MB (30x40km), but I notice in my image editing software the screen draw always pauses for a long time about 90% through -- i suspect that it would prefer a slightly smaller image, perhaps <128MB. RAM is probably the deciding factor --I have 384MB.I have tried joining two of these images together, and I can even get the image colour-corrected and rotated, but Terrabuilder baulks at it ("Cannot create image buffer" or suchlike.) It obviously needs to sit completely in RAM.Joining the pieces of a such a huge puzzle would need a lot of planning -- especially with the images I am working on, which all need to be rotated to a different degree. Once you rotate, of course, you need to crop to remove the white strips -- this cropping means that you'll lose an alignment with the next project. Which brings me to point two.Obviously there are a number of issues such as this, which are not part of Terrabuilder's job, but because Terrabuilder is the tool we use, it is easy to look to it as a solution to everything. Misho's automatic process is great, but there is a lot of work to be done before getting the image into Terrabuilder -- scaling, rotating, calibrating, recolouring, even cloud removal. That is the area when people need some help.I am 'publishing' a disc-based magazine covering New Zealand scenery, which includes a number of tutorials covering these topics. The magazine is mainly the distribution method for scenery, but also hopefully the way in which more people can work towards creating more realistic New Zealand scenery. I don't suggest that anyone here buys the mag simply to get a few ideas on Terrabuilder, but if you happened to have an interest in New Zealand as well...The magazine is on track for a December release -- you can have a preview of it here:www.windowlight.co.nz/godzone

Hi all.One thing I have learned from my recent explorations with Terrascene is this:The old resample is amazingly accurate.Terrascene doesn't use Aerial photos. It derives images from shapefile, and other data sources, to compile an image. The rconverted TARGA image, and the accompanying TXT file are all that is needed to create perfect slices with the old resample.If the textures are 4.8 meters per pixel ( derived from default FS2002 textures ), the image is very crisp.. in fact you have a hard time telling the CUSTOM textures from the default, at times.--------------------What stunned me, however was the alignment. I made rather large areas of CUSTOM ( LOD8 sized )... 1024 slices per run. And I made 9 adjoining sets, to make a 3x3 LOD8 grid. And the roads, textures, shores, water... all joined seamlessly into one huge project of nearly 1000 sq. miles. You could not find the "joints"!Terrascene's synthetic scenery is precise.So?This means if we have problems with aerial photo images, then the images, or their georeferencing is the problem.Aerial and satellite images are usually "tweaked" by a variety of processes to attempt to remove distorTion caused by the camera angle, the lens, and the atmosphere. Then the images are combined, sliced and georeferenced, then made public. ( Mesh data suffers from the same process ).And this problem is not related to Misho's TerraBuilder, or the old resample, or to the size of the image ( my Terrascene images are about 9500 X 9500 pixels, of which close to 8192 x 8192 is used ).Dick