Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Created a Terrascene/Terrabuilder Large Scenery

I created a 45km by 65km scenery with Terrascene, converted the TGA file to a BMP and processed it with Terrabuilder. The processing portion took over an hour on a 1ghz 512mb system. All 7.5 meter Terrascene resolution values were set to 4.8 and hopefully this gave me the best this combination has to offer.The other thing that I did was to use FS2002 textures in place of those of Terrascene. I believe that the FS2002 textures carry better fidelity.Issues were that the resulting view in FS2002 was somewhat less clear than the native FS2002 texture placements. However at about 4000ft AGL they looked ok. I noticed this with others who have used photoreal or synthetic textures such as produced by Terrascene.A more serious issue is that the integration of texture elements is more crude than that used by FS2002 when it places textures. Remember that this is one giant mosaic of textures placed by Terrascene using FS2002 texture elements. It is clearly evident that two problems arise.First, only one texture element is used for an assignment. As an example, if two , or more, cropland textures are adjacent, FS2002 has availabe several varieties of a cropland texture and attempts to randomize their adjacent or nearby placement. Terrascene has only one varient of a cropland texture and thus seems to just replicate it with no attempt to even rotate the texture. The result is an unreal pattern.Second, when different textures are set next to each other FS2002 applies an "edge algolrithim" to provide a pleasing integration of textures with little evidence of straight edging. Terrascene, on-the-other-hand, does not perform this function as well. The reuslt is that many cases of unreal straight lines appear at the interface between textures spoiling the visual effect. One added note - it would be mind boggeling to try to "autogen" a mosaic 45km x 65km. I can see how it might help but a task that is tiresome to say the least.Finally, the roads, rivers, streams, and lakes are excellent. These elements very closely match the underlying mesh and follow real world contours. The only time a river climbs a hillside is when the underlying mesh has insufficient resolution to define a steep cliff adjacent to the river. With 38 meter mesh this does not occur too often and with a good tool it could easily be tuned out. I simply cannot say enough about the non-texture elements. If at some point in the future someone can create a tool to duplicate the placement of shorelines and roads the effect will be outstanding.Send about an hour converting FS2002 textures to jpegs and selecting the for application in Terrascene. Spend another hour or so waiting for the TB processing and you can get quite a large area for VFR.Dick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Dick.I made a large jpeg mosaic of cropland textures ( I think it was 2048x2048 ) by combining all 7 sets of default cropland... they combine pretty well.-----------------The exciting thing for me is the roads and the water. I've been nagging Chris Wright to enlarge the scope of his AutoASM to be able to handle an LOD8 sized image from Terrascene. He's almost got it 100%.With that, you can use a huge watermask from Terrascene ( LOD8 sized ), and convert it to LWM asm code to make a default-like water BGL for FS2002 or CFS2. And the streams can be real water as well, if they are in the terrascene watermask.--------------------I've found a way to make a road mask from Terrascene, slice that with resample, and convert city street patterns into roads with a transparent background. That texture can be autogened, then applied as a VTPm2 Layer4 poly. The autogen makes the trees and houses, the roads are transparently layed onto the default Landclass! And new roads, shores, streams can be added or deleted, unlike true CUSTOM textures. It makes an incredibly detailed scenery for a small town.I hope to have an example this next week for my hometown... it covers about 4-6 LOD13 Areas. The hardest part will be autogening the hundreds of buildings and trees!-------------------------'jmf' has helped me to find a valid way to display CUSTOM slices as VTPm2s, so they can have roads and streams, and water and beaches added... and have autogen.So there are lots of new possiblities for both photoreal and terrascened slices.------------------------Richard Hill has been trying to get TIGER data into terrascene for the US. He hasn't had much luck, yet, but I did get it working. I haven't played with it much, but it should be even more accurate than the default Terrascene data. Dick

I reverted to the HITW FKY! textures and the croplands now appear to blend in a better fashion. However, borders of city areas with croplands are too abrupt and not blended.A mask overlay of the roads will be great if it can be pulled off. Terascene allows extensive manipluation of width and texture of both the road surfaces and the easements (borders).I see some work being done to allow modifying samml coastline areas. A much needed item. But also need a large scale process to use USGS data for shoreline definitions and then the other programs for tuning. We have the mesh in large scale but now need a tool to eaisly tune the elevations where the resolution leaves anomalies cush as climbing rivers. Getting close!Dick

Hi Dick.Yes, I think we are getting close to better tools and methods.Here's a couple of screenshots of a roadmask converted to VTPm2 polys, with some LWM water, and some streams. It's coming along. This scenery could use a grass-textured poly over the city's landclass, and some autogen added to the roadmask for houses.Dick

This looks wonderful, Dick. Perhaps, if you find the time, you could explain the precise process. Much appreciated.Best regards.Luis

I'll second, third, and fourth that!!! Rhumbaflappy Scenery Secrets for Dummies!!!:-lol

Hi all.The city street grid was first derived from Terrascene 2.1. With Terrascene, you can set the rendering colors as you wish... or even turn them off. What I did was set the roadline color to a solid Grey, and turned off everything else, except background ( which I made black ).Terrascene then produced a TARGA image for me. That image, I changed to a BMP, then sliced with resample... Terrabuilder works fine for this... but, I just want the slices, not the BGL.I then used LandCalc2, and TDFcalc3 while slewing with the sim, to find the slice names I needed for placing the VTPm2 polys I wanted to use, and some pertinent info about the Cell and Area numbers. I then copied the slices I wanted to a folder called 'autogen'. These slices are the templates for the eventual autogen, as autogen is displayed vertically correct.I also processed these slices with PaintShopPro. What I had to do was vertically flip the slices ( a problem with VTP polys ), and add an alpha channel for the Black background. I saved these slices as photoshop format ( so Imagetool can read them ), and placed them in a folder called 'flipped'. I then used Imagetool to format these as 8-bit, mipped with Alpha. These slices are now alpha-transparent for VTP polys ( not water as in CUSTOM bgls ), with the city streets as grey. VTP polys are always vertically flipped when displayed, unlike autogen.The flipped textures ( with the CUSTOM names ) and the autogen ( not flipped ), should be placed in the scenedbworldtexture folder, right with the default landclass textures and autogen.Now I can create VTPm2 polys, and call the textures by the #253 ( landclass all-season CUSTOM ), and they display as shown in the picture.Here's the VTP BGLC code to make the BGL:include TDFMacros.incinclude TDFHeaders.inc; -------------------------------------VTPm2CUSTOM Macro AreaX, AreaY, Layer, bReplace, TextureID WORD ( AreaY * 800h ) + ( AreaX * 40h ) + ( 1 * 20h ) + 1 BYTE ( bReplace * 80h ) + Layer BYTE ( 0 * 80h ) + 1 BYTE ( 0 * 80h ) + TextureID BYTE ( 0 * 80h ) + 1 BYTE ( 0 * 40h ) + ( 0 * 20h ) + 4 WORD AreaX * 255 + 4080 WORD AreaY * 255 + 4080 WORD AreaX * 255 + 4335 WORD AreaY * 255 + 4080 WORD AreaX * 255 + 4335 WORD AreaY * 255 + 4335 WORD AreaX * 255 + 4080 WORD AreaY * 255 + 4335EndM; -------------------------------------; N42* 38.37' W88* 37.55'; -------------------------------------; Autogen testBGLHeader 43, 42, -88, -89, TerrainHeaderStart, VTPHeaderVTPHeader label word VTPFileHeader 256, VTPIndexStart, TextureStart, VTPEndVTPDataStart label worddatamark_0 label word VTPm2CUSTOM 27, 22, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 28, 22, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 29, 22, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 30, 22, 32, 0, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 26, 23, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 27, 23, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 28, 23, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 29, 23, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 30, 23, 32, 0, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 26, 24, 32, 0, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 27, 24, 32, 0, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 28, 24, 32, 1, 0 VTPm2CUSTOM 29, 24, 32, 0, 0; ---------------------------------------------datamark_1 label wordCell_194_134 EQU VTPCellID 0, 194, 134VTPIndexStart Label word VTPIndexHeader 1, VTPIndexData, VTPDataStartVTPIndexData label word VTPIndexEntry Cell_194_134, VTPDataStart, datamark_0, datamark_1TextureStart label word VTPTextureListHeader 1, TextureIndexStart, TextureDataStart, TextureDataEndTextureIndexStart label word VTPTextureListEntry TextureDataStart, texturemark_0, texturemark_1TextureDataStart label word texturemark_0 label word VTPTextureName "253" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 4 texturemark_1 label wordTextureDataEnd label wordVTPEnd label word-------------------------------I defined a new macro at the start of the BGLC code to make the actual poly-drawing of the textures easier. -------------------------------There is a discoloring tint where the transparent alpha of the CUSTOM displays, but some 'trimming', by actually drawing a careful polyshape can reduce that.. I just need enough poly to show the actual streets, and the eventual house and vegetation autogen. I don't need the polys to show over water or areas not autogened.I used a layer of 32 ( major roads ), but that can be altered as well. I'll need a 'grass' poly under the roads ( layer 4, probably ), and maybe some 'concrete' polys for industrial and store parking lots. I'll use landclass numbers for these, and they'll change with the seasons.If I had used #252, then I would have needed a complete seasonal and night set of CUSTOM Textures... something I may yet do, as night could then show streetlights and winter streets could be snowy ( this is Delavan, Wisconsin, USA ).I like this idea for cities, as it does allow the autogen, and what we generally want for towns is a transparent sheet for streets, and autogen.Dick

Correction:"Spend another hour or so waiting for the TB processing"should read:"Spend another hour or so waiting for the RESAMPLE.EXE processing"I'm getting quite testy with this, ain't I? :-)

All in good fun, Misho! My mind just goes blank just reading all the good quality stuff you, Dick, and others post. I can only marvel!

Hi Misho.I'm hoping everybody understands your program is a FRONTEND for resample, and as such cannot be responsible for resample's slowness or problems related to wrong coordinates or deformed data.I'm sure nudata understood that, and didn't mean any offense, but rather wanted to convey the fact that a large bitmap and area will take a long time for resample to finish it's work, and make Terrabuilder wait for the slices before it can complete it's job.nudata was also recommending the Terrascene-Terrabuilder combination for creating very accurate CUSTOM scenery for FS2002. I have a lot of sympathy for your situation... I get there myself, sometimes :-beerchug ( my solution ). ;)Dick

Sounds like you have most of a process. Now if all of that can be automated - perhaps in phases with the most first.Misho - yes, the processing time is indeed the SDK programs of Microsoft. Converting Textures step takes the most time for me. Nothing anyone can do about that except spend money.1ghz, 512mbDick

Thanks Dick!I wasn't really serious - I was just having some fun...and it seems we have the same solution approach! :-)