Sign in to follow this  

Niagara sample

Hello to All in this Forum,I want to make some mesh scenery for a particular area in The Philippines. Did some searching and came up with Terrabuilder Lite.Mind you. I have been making sceneries and macros in the past so I figured that it would not be too much trouble to get to know how to go about it. That was a fallacy I discovered later. I got everything that was said to be needed and had a go at this Niagara thing to get a feel for it. Read the installation file to the full extend a couple of times to get the path settings right. One way or another I seem to mess (not mesh) things up. I then vissited the terrabuildfer forum to see how others did where I failed.I was really taken bij this Artjunky with his niagra files are wrong color depth. I recocnised myself in there for a while. I think in the end he figured it out. I diddn't! Not yet. Therefore I would like to ask some questions. First some information:FS2002 Pro on a WINDOWS XP Pro platform. AMD 2000+ 512mb Computer with an Ati Radeon 8500Terrabuilder Lite on a WINDOWS 98SE platform.. AMD 750 256mb ComputerThe files are copied trough a LAN to the XP computer if I can get them generated. (-: Settings:General: FS2002 checkedPaths:Application - H:TerraBuilder LITESynthetic texture pathScasm path H:ProgramsAirport260Terrain SDK Path H:TerraBuilder LITETerraSDKFS2000 SDKTerrainImmage processor H:TerraBuilder LITEFS Texture ConverterFSTexConvert.exeThe other side shows the various simulators but there is no way to get anything written in there.Placed the 7 niagara.bmp's in H:TerraBuilder LITENiagaraTook the wizard-Photo Terrain and filled all the spaces with the appropriate bmpsCopied and pasted the coordinates and checked the top left anker boxNext, next, nextThere is a lot of activity going on. Resampling and the likes. When all is done I see the folders:Scenery with a niagara_falls_su.bgl in it size 1.485234 files in the Apha folder234 files in the Temp Texture folderNothing in the TEXTURE folder!Scenery Issues:Problem:Horizontal scale of the scenery is not 4.8 meters/pixel as required by Terrain SDK.Microsoft's Terrain SDK tool Resample.exe will stretch the image pixels but it will do so by simply multiplying pixel size.Image editing software can do a much better job of resizing, by approximating (interpolating) neighbouring pixels.Resize the horizontal size of the imagery from the current 768 pixels to 767 pixelsReload the project. The position and the extents of the scenery will remain the same. The horizontal scenery scale should now be 4.8 m/pixelProblem:Bottom edge of the image will be discarded.Suggestion:Exit the project and edit the image.Problem:Left edge of the image will be discarded.Suggestion:Exit the project and edit the image.Problem:Top edge of the image will be discarded.Suggestion:Exit the project and edit the image.Problem:Right edge of the image will be discarded.Suggestion:Exit the project and edit the image. 5 unresolved issues.QUESTIONS:1. Is there something wrong with the BMP's2. Have I overlooked something?3. There should be texure bmp's being created in the TEXTURE folder right?4. Must the Scenery issue list be empty before proceeding?5. Where would I find satelite photo's from the Philippines?Your help would be very much appriciated. I want to get on with it but if I can't get this Niagra sample working there is no use in continueing I think. )-:Roelof Kruijer rkruijer@onetelnet.nl

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,First of all: Hundreds of users are using TerraBuilder. For most of them it goes without a problem first time they use it. A few times there are problems due to not following instructions or a system setup. Issues like that user needs to resolve. I can help with suggestions.Something went wrong allright. There should be 9 X 6(5 seasonal plus night) = 36 textures. My guess is that cut-and-paste didn't go well. It might be that an extra number/character sneaked into the box.Try just entering almost any value, like 10,10 instead of cutting and pasting the exact values. Make sure you lock the resolutions at 4.8 m/pix.>1. Is there something wrong with the BMP's no. they are supplied by MS and they work without a problem.>2. Have I overlooked something? probably - either that or your system is complaining.>3. There should be texure bmp's being created in the TEXTURE >folder right? yes. 36 textures of 43kb in size.>4. Must the Scenery issue list be empty before proceeding?no. Your scenery issues list is fine. It only guides you in how to have better results. >5. Where would I find satelite photo's from the Philippines? That's hard to say. Designing scenery is not the problem. The problem is finding good source imagery. You just have to look for it on the internet. Some users actually purchase imagery, if they can find it for a reasonable price.>Your help would be very much appriciated. I want to get on >with it but if I can't get this Niagra sample working there >is no use in continueing I think. )-: As I said - Hundreds of user are using TB without problems.

Hello Misho,Thanks for your help. I solved the problem and was able to create the 36 bmp's,The oversight was basically caused by the layout of the help file. The first part tells what you need.Once you have dl everything and get to the second part it is unlikely that you will revert back to the first part.Meticulously I did everything that was in the Quick Tutorial part but

Hi, Roelof,Sorry to hear about your oversight, but I think you are unfair in saying that the layout of the help file is to blame. There are a lot of components needed for TB to work properly. I would integrate them into TB so that they are transparent to the user, but they are proprietary and a "black box" to me. That is why I INSIST that user reads the instructions carefully and not skip any steps, as they are vital to the proper functioning of the application.First, I say:"FSTexConvert.exe, an image conversion utility by Elrond Elvish. You must download Martin Wright's DLL file library in order for this tool to work"Then, I say:"You will need Installed FSTexConvert.exe"then I proceed with the tutorial.I don't know how else to tell user that the DLL's are required. If you download FSTexConvert.exe from TB site, I warn you there as well:"In order to run it, you will need several support *.dll files developed by Martin Wright."This is your oversight. You can't blame me for not warning you that you will need these.>My question now is, what is the purpose >of this example? The Textures are provided by Microsoft. They are not the best looking textures but I think MS did that so that they blend well with the default. Also, there is no "mountain ridge" because this tutorial does not deal with elevations, only with textures. The purpose of the tutorial is to show you HOW to do it, not to admire the scenery. When Microsoft decides to publish a scenery add-on to showcase the photorealistic scenery, they publish things like Oshkosh scenery. Check it out, I think you'll like it.

Hello Misho,For the records I would like to point out that I never had the intentention to blame anyone else than myself. I just gave an indication as to why I it came about!There is always room for improvement and that goes certainly for help files.I am 69 years old and at that age my memory along with my line of thinking is not like it was when I was 35 and still an active private pilot. Some day you will discover that yourself. Not to soon I hope. :-)I really hope this clear

Thanks, Roelof.I will take your suggestion and explicitly repeat several times thatthe DLL files need to be installed. Every little bit helps to clarify things.Happy TerraBuilding,

Hello Misho,Thanks for your effort but don't over do it. Several times may confuse people. Only once in the "What you need" section after Installed FSTexConvert.exeBtw. This is not for me. I figured it out the hardway! :-)Best Regards,Roelof