Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

What is the strange number that represents scale?

First of all I want to send greetings to everybody!! And I have a question: This is normal line from .scm file that I created by Terrabuilder. On third possition is there a number that has to represents scale. RefPoint( 2 :L000002 1.001925 16.000000 42.000000 v1= 0 v2= 0 E= 0.000000)How is computed this number cause I can't resolve this. I know that this is good number and on 100% exact scales scenery. But I'b like to know how can I come to this number. I will by very happy if somebody helps me. I hope that it is not hidden. :() Thank you Peter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This number is computed internally in order to close gaps between the chunks to the best possible precision. It is needed because chunks are measured to the nearest meter (due to the integer precision of SCASM command) and sometimes there are gaps between them.However:You are usinga method that is OLD, flawed, unreliable and all but abandoned. As such, I can help you with it as much as I can remember, but I don't support it (which means that I won't be fixing/uopgrading anyrhing). I would strongly urge you that you switch to PhotoTerrain Wizard, which uses MS SDK method for PROPERLY designing photorealistic scenery.

Realy thanks for answer. I discovered that it is old method a few times. But I only have to know the algorithm of computing that scale, cause I by myself couldn't discover how was it computeed. :()But only if it does not too big problem.I have second question: How big precission is possible when I want to take heits from grayscale bmp. It is also possible to load 16bit grayscale or only 256 colors grayscale?Sorry If I ask som FAQ but it is not for me now to be on internet too much long time to read all that was ever writen. But I hope that it'll change next years. I ask now only some things that come to my mind which I asked me in Summer when I done some terrains. I promise that I will study all next year. :()))And one most important thing for end: Thank you for Terrabuilder!! Peter

>Realy thanks for answer. I discovered that it is old method >a few times. But I only have to know the algorithm of >computing that scale, cause I by myself couldn't discover >how was it computeed. :() >But only if it does not too big problem. If I remember correctly:Depending on the Latitude, calculate how many METERS your bitmap spans. This is done by determining how many degrees in longitude you bitmap is WIDE, divided by number of meters one degree of longitude has AT THIS LATITUDE.You will get something like 1283.45331284 meters. But MeshWith1Tex allows only for WHOLE METERS to be specified. So, If your scenery is divided into 4 chunks in longitude, the number has to be divisible by 4, which is 1284. 1284/4=321 and 1283.45331284/4 = 320.8633. SO the "Missing" amount that is missed by the whole meter is "filled in" by scale parameter. Scale is then: 321/320.8633 = 1.0004260381290100799935673540726There is a bit more to this so I suggest you get familiar with MeshWith1Tex command. Also this is NOT a precise method: The chunks are actually Trapezoid-shaped because meridian lines converge towards the poles. Therefore, you can never get the absolutely precise fit.As you can see, this is a very complicated way of representing landscape and this is why we abandoned it. I pointed you in the right direction, and the rest you have to figure out yourself. In my opinion, this method is a waste of time and this is why I don't support it anymore.>>I have second question: >How big precission is possible when I want to take heits >from grayscale bmp. It is also possible to load 16bit >grayscale or only 256 colors grayscale? you have 256 levels of precision. SO, if your altitude span is 5000 feet, you have precision of 5000/256= ~20 feet.>And one most important thing for end: Thank you for >Terrabuilder!! You're welcome!