Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

hitting that northwest corner using Terrabuilder

I'm having a problem getting Terrabuilder or MSFS SDK toolsto create 256x256 squares STARTING at the northwest cornerof my image. Once I create my image (768 x 1024 as recommended),and specify my max lat and min long, leaving 4.8 meters locked,I wind up with 6 squares from the middle of my image.From reading the CustomTerrain sdk, I noted that squares beginat 360/32768 breakpoints (if you will). So I wind up adjustingmy lat and long to get the first sampled square at the uppernorthwest corner of my bmp. That means now my terrain is not exact,and I have to go back to terraserver and redo the bmp for thecoordinates determined thru trial and error in terrabuilder.Catch22 here, partially.QUESTION IS: Is there an easy way to determine ahead of timewhere I should start a northwest corner of an aerial photoso as to get the first sampled square where it should be.QUESTION 2: Why doesn't the 'process' create bmps of the entire768 x 1024 area of the image? Even when sampling begins in nw corner,the entire image isn't sampled/used.Thanks to anyone who can assist,Jeff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jeff.I think it's pretty well established that Microsoft's resample requires a slight "overhang" in all dimensions, or it will not work correctly. I have tried to force resample to slice an exact LOD bordered area, but it simply will not work. This has nothing to do with Terrabuilder, but with Microsoft's restrictions.In other words, you need an image that covers a slightly larger area than the area you actually want to slice. When you use that image, with it's new coordinates, you should get the right slices.Dick

Thanks for your response.But I'm still puzzled about the nw corner coordinates. If the top leftresampled slice doesn't fall at the coordinates I specified in the INF file, then will the slices, when applied as scenery, fall at the location of the coordinates I specified, or the coordinates of the actual top left slice?

Hello Jeff,To determine the extents (borders) of any LOD13 area, please get LODCalc by Richard Marklew, available in the library.As for the location of your scenery, the LOD grid is located at a fixed position on the Flight Simulator world. When you specify the north and west extents of your image, resample.exe determines what part of your image falls in which LOD13 area.If that part of the image completely fills that grid, then it is resampled.If it does not, then that LOD13 area is left empty (if you are using the FS2000 resample.exe -- with the new FS2002 resample.exe, it will simply fill the empty space in the LOD13 area with black, although you can simply specify in the Destination section of the inf file what part of the image should be resampled.)So, if you specify the correct north and west extents of your image, then resample.exe will correctly slice your image and correctly place the slices in Flight Simulator.Keep practicing and it should begin to make sense.Best regards.Luis

Hi Jeff.Resample will always slice exactly on the LOD13 bounds. That is written in stone. The overhang I mentioned, will be discarded by the OLD resample. The NEW resample creates a slice, but uses the color black to fill the area not covered by the data.If the NW corner of your image is exact, then resample will make the neccessary computations to give you exact slices. Just make sure your image is larger than the area you want to resample, and that the NW corner of that larger image is given to resample.Dick