Sign in to follow this  
Guest smithf

Randolph AFB Background Textures

Hi FolksThis is a revision of a post made on Christmas Day which, in retrospect, was probably not a good choice. Hopefully, this will state my objectives in a more limited scope and at a better time.I would like to install a background texture for Randolph Air Force Base, located at Universal City, Texas, USA. It has been suggested that TB might be the most appropriate tool for this effort.My first objective is to install the texture in a configuration that will be compatible with TB Lite and produce optimal results, i.e. detailed graphics from ground level up, in FS2002.I have attached a JPG version of my master BMP. The BMP itself far exceeds the attachment limit and probably peoples patience even if an attachment was possible. The data for the master BMP are as follows:3490x4030 pixels47.663x55.038 inches73 pixels/inch8/256 pixel depth/colors13.4 MBytesThe question at this point is, what needs to be done to the BMP to produce something that TB can process ? In closing, I should add that I have installed the listed secondary executables, gone through the procedures, etc. My best effort so far was a big gray square in the general vicinity of the target. I deleted that data set and haven

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Tom,You are right, things are a bit slow as most people are likely spending more time with families at this time of year.Looks like you have a very nice project in hand. You seem to have done everything right.According to your data on the picture, it is 8-bit color (256 colors) - please note that images must be RGB (24-bit color).You must convert your image to this color depth. Given that it is already pretty large, probably only Adobe PhotoShop will handle the much larger RGB image.Once you have gotten over this hurdle, it should all turn out right.Best wishes to all.Luis

Hi LuisThanks for the response. I'll follow your recommendation and let you know how things come out. I think my Paint Shop Pro 7.0 will handle the conversion which you mention. Thanks again.Tom

tom, make sure ur photo covers several lod13 grids, I think 4 is the minimum that can be displayed.Bob B

Hi LuisI made an RGB 24 bit version from my master PSP file and it shows up just as you said it would. My problem now is that it's about 10 times the size it aught to be and is on a 360 degree heading rather than the 320 degrees which it aught to be. I'm going to experiment but if you have any suggestions that might help, I would certainly appreciate hearing about them.Tom

Hi BobThanks for the tip. I'll certainly follow-up on it. Thanks to Luis' advice, I at least have a visible texture. The immediate problem now is that its 10 times larger than it aught to be. Thanks again.Tom

Hi Tom,The reason that your airport is lined up 40 degrees off is that your picture has the runways at 360 instead of 320. There is no way that TB can rotate the picture for you. You need to rotate your picture so that the runways are at the correct heading.The way that I do small projects like this is to use USAPhotoMaps (look at jdmcox.com ) to get a B&W image. I use waypoints to mark the corners. (After placing the waypoints in USAPhotoMaps I exit USAPhotoMaps and use Cooktop 2.5 to edit the coordinates in the xml file to make sure they are in the right place. Then I go back into USAPhotoMaps.) I then use the PrintScreen button and paste the pieces into Photoshop, using as many pieces as required to cover my area of interest. Using Photoshop I rotate and square up the B&W image using the corners added in USAPhotoMaps. I then paste the color image over the top of the B&W image. Make sure that the color image overlaps the B&W image on all sides. You will have to increase the canvas size to do this. I then make the color layer about 65%opaque. Using Transform with the Distort option I stretch the image so that the color fits on top of the B&W. Then crop the image to the extents of the B&W image. Change the opacity back to 100%, flatten the image and save as a 24 bit bitmap. This will create a color image that is oriented correctly that has known coordinates.Your image being too large is because you didn't resize the image to 4.76 meters/pixel (approximately) or didn't use the lat and long on both sides and top and bottom of the image. Please re-read the release notes that came with TB.Good luck,Frank Smith

Tom,I had a bit of free time today, so I though I'd take a look at Randolph AFB. Using the method I described above I made a photoreal scenery of the area. The runways came in right where the FS2K2 runways are, but MS did not do a very good job with the aprons and taxiways.Attached is a screen shot showing how well this method works to line up photos with the real world. The photo quality is degraded substantially due to resizing and jpeg-ing the original screen shot.The hardest thing about photoreal scenery is getting the photographs prepared. Thanks to all the work Misho has done, its a snap to get from photo to scenery.Let me know if you would like me to email you this.Frank Smith

Hi FrankThank you very much for your interest. I would appreciate an e-mail of this scenery very much ! It looks great.My e-mail address is tlaker@ecr.netI'll also be happy to provide more detail on what I'm doing if you're interested. Thanks again and I'll be anxiously awaiting your e-mail. A belated merry Christmas and happy 2003Tom

Frank,Would you be interested in doing the same for me of Dallas Love Field(KDAL)?How is this installed into FS2K2? I have never worked with this, I have been using GMAX, FSDS, & Airport. I have just recently began using Architect. I am trying to finish KDAL that has been looming on my HD for a while & learn all the new here. Would be great to have photoreal sitting there.Regards,Jay

Jay,I have done a photoreal of KDAL. Let me know your e-mail address so I can e-mail it to you. Please e-mail me at frank.smith@dmjmhn.com.I don't plan on doing this for anyone else unless you have a specific request for an airport or other location in Utah or Idaho and can e-mail me a color photo. The photo does not need to be corrected for scale or location, but must have a resolution of 4.8 m/pixel or better. If anyone has a request like this you can e-mail me with the information.Frank Smith