Sign in to follow this  

How to exclude water chunks?

I'm doing a scenery project on Singapore - the little island nation.I got an aerial photo and made it 9984 x 5888 pixels. The water and land to the north of Singapore, which is Malaysia, was masked to black, and the corresponding Alpha mask was also created.Everything worked out after many tries to align the runway and size of the image. A total of 832 BMPs (256x256) were generated.Only one thing remain unsolved. In FS2K2, parts of Malaysia, which is very close to Singapore, were blanked out by the rectangular mask too, chopping off the southern landscape of Malaysia.I tried to use the exclude water chunks and regenerated everything but still I couldn't get rid of it.How to solve this problem?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You cannot "blank out land" - water only. If you use alpha bitmap, everything black will be water, and everything else will be land - no in-betweens or no "transparent" areas. You need to somehow blend in the landscape into Malaysia part.

Hi rthl.There is a way to "pick and choose" which CUSTOM textures you'd like to display.Now that you've used Terrabuilder to successfully build the textures, you've also found that 'resample.exe' will make a rectangular area only for your textures, when making a CUSTOM bgl.The solution is to use a LandClass BGL, to display only the CUSTOM textures you desire... For safety's sake, just rename the CUSTOM BGL as 'Old.bak', and the sim will now ignore it.Use John Cillis' LandClass Assistant, if you like, to make a source map of #254 ( transparent value ) landclass. Then paint in value #252 or #253 ( #252 requires seasonal and night textures... #253 will display only the summer texture ( I think )).The Landclass BGL will automatically display the correctly named texture wherever the value #252 or #253 exists.. the value #254 will allow the default landclass to exist.This way, you can make a BGL that can "exclude" the mainland portions of the texture set created with Terrabuilder... the water portions will blend into the default ocean. Textures that overlap mainland and island would still need to be blended in, by altering the CUSTOM textures that overlap... a little cut'n'paste of copied default textures merged with the CUSTOM textures involved, and the mainland will look untouched.Dick

Thanks, Dick.I'm a newbie at this, and I'm still trying to get to grips with Terrabuilder. Haven't had the chance to study the various Landclass programs yet.I'll certainly have a look a the Landclass Assistant. However, is there any other Landclass programs out there that is easy to use, other than this one?Cheers, and a very Happy New Year.Richard

Seems the easiest thing to do would be to create an image for your terrain and an alpha channel for your water. You could even use screen shots of the actual if you were desperate for an image to use for the land. Then you control where the water goes. The default water location will be meaningless in areas that you covered with your map.Bob Bernstein