Sign in to follow this  

Making a Retro Sim from FS2k2?

Okay, I have been on a real nostalgia kick what with all the Bill Lyons planes, the fantastic DH2 Tiger Moth (absolutely gorgeous), the Stearman and on and on. I got to thinking that there may be a real market for 1930's-40's package which would retro FS2k2 to the Golden era of aviation. Instead of an add on, a subtractor package that would eliminate all the modern airports and reduce the number of airports and replace with that era's airfields, buildings, signs, etc.This would allow you to have two installations of FS2k2, one as it is, and one retro. Looking at the previews of the Clipper project cinched it for me, I just had to run it up the flag pole and see if someone salutes! Maybe even add some railroads to VFR it from place to place. I know the market would be smaller, but I'd pay a fair piece for something like that! And fences and powerlines and gaslights and....well?

Yeah -- the concept is interesting! I guess you could "pigeon hole" us simmers-- Let's try just for fun.Pigeon hole 1 -- Simmers who are actually starting real life flying lessons and want to fly real life type trainers in the sim -- Cessnas, Pipers, etc.Pigeon hole 2 -- Simmers who fantasise that they are real life commercial jet liner pilots and only fly the heavies.Pigeon hole 3 - Simmers who fantasise about the wide open spaces and become Sim "bush" pilots.Pigeon hole 4 - Simmers who fantasise about "Raiders of the Lost Arc" and want to fly 1920s-1940s aircraft.Pigeon hole 5 - Simmers who fantasise about being a Military pilot and want to land on Aircraft Carriers. etc.:)Any more suggestions!! :)Personally, I think I am starting to become one of the Pigeon Hole 4 group -- Bill Lyons aircraft and the new Junkers have a great sound about them. Now this is all fun -- no nasty comments please!! :)Barry

Guest JDH

It's a good idea, but to be fair there is no need for all the "pigeon holes" named above.1,2,3 and 5 can all be done already in the same sim, but 4 would need separation. I agree with the original post, it'd be a bit odd have the Boeing Clipper, landing at the 1930s Pan American terminal in modern day NYC!Good ideas though!

Guest GalacticCowboy

And during that time period, many airfields were just that - fields. No runways or taxiways, just a bunch of grass. And you always landed directly into the wind, whatever direction that was...

Leahopper,After reading "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest Ganns, I had thoughs of recreating airports based on the waythey looked when DC3's flew in and out of them. Removing VORs and just having NDBs would be kind of neat. But, I lost interest in it and I do not have the scenery talent that some have here.I like the idea though.

If you're into retro, check out the new C-54 with panel that just came out at: www.fsdesign-berlin.da.ruMisha

Well you can`t pigeon hole me .I like every aspect of flying old/new, small/large, fmc/no fmc.I love sid`s and stars etc but just today I afcad`d up Duxford EGSU (Gary Summons) and ttooled some Tiger Moth and GA circuits and (I think this is the best thing to do with older aircraft is find your favorite airshow aerodrome!)jumped in my Tiger moth and tried follow me`s....great fun!...in fact I got carried away and flew my own vintage airshow!....Edp.s. anyone Know where there is a `Gmax` DeHavilland Rapide to complete the Duxford thing?

Leaf,I like the idea too! It would be a huge undertaking but not impossible. There was a package in development a year or two ago reenacting Amelia Earhart's fateful flight. All of her intended destinations were to be recreated for the period. In a way, CFS2 is already there (just not as extensive as it could be). It might be easier to start with CFS2 and add scenery. I'm darn close to buying the PanAm Clipper package that just came out. If it were a download, I'd be playing it right not. Ordering a CD from Europe is a bit of a hard sell for me. I can't understand why some companies insist on this antiquated model still. Ahh, but I digress!David

Guest GalacticCowboy

The Earhart package was released for FS98. Abacus title, "Around the World". And it looked like they depended a lot on stuff that was imported from (or compatible with) even earlier versions, because the package also worked in FS5 and FSFW.

>Well you can`t pigeon hole me .I like every aspect of flying >old/new, small/large, fmc/no fmc.I love sid`s and stars etc >but just today I afcad`d up Duxford EGSU (Gary Summons) and >ttooled some Tiger Moth and GA circuits and (I think this is >the best thing to do with older aircraft is find your >favorite airshow aerodrome!)jumped in my Tiger moth and >tried follow me`s....great fun!...in fact I got carried away >and flew my own vintage airshow!....Ed >p.s. anyone Know where there is a `Gmax` DeHavilland Rapide >to complete the Duxford thing? Where did you get the Vampire!!!!! When I was a young member of groundcrew in the RAAF, I was taken for a joyride in one of those -- couldn't figure out how to take off my mask during flight so had to throw up into the mask while flying!!! :(Barry

Glendale airport would be the biggest around Los angeles with just a farmers field and dirt strip where LAX stands today! That would be totally cool (brill) I'd buy it!

Robcap:WOW! I'm on my way to Retro Heaven!!!! What a great looking DC2!!I'll d/l this tonight. I kind of thought that maybe I wasn't the only one starving for a retro sim. I've about had it with all the buttons, switches, dials and satellite stuff. Give the good ole days!! I remember flying to Alamosa Colorado from Denver in a Frontier Airlines DC-3 - lost one engine as we exited Mosca Pass. I loved the creaking and groaning and vibrations of that old bird. I can smell the exhaust fumes now!Oh, how I wish I had learned design scenery! There are soooo many great old planes coming along!

Hi Barry, details on the vampire:Model and Textures by Roger Hardy, Sound Set by Mike Hambly, Flight Model, Panel and Package by Simone Prattico'.....try the major fsim websites......oh and I found a Rapide..don`t rate the ai pilot though!..Ed

*Snip*>Personally, I think I am starting to become one of the >Pigeon Hole 4 group -- Bill Lyons aircraft and the new >Junkers have a great sound about them. Hi there! I would love to see a "retro" sim myself. What is this in the above quote about a Junkers? Please tell me there's an FS2K2 JU52-3m plane and panel out there somewhere....Regards,Scott(KJMS)

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula