Sign in to follow this  

128 x 128 Textures

Has anyone experimented with using 128x128 pixel textures in "flyover" areas where detail is not as critical? If 128 pixel textures will work it would reduce texture storage by a factor of 4. The textures would be 11KB instead of 43KB.What I am thinking is that you generate the bgl and a normal set of textures resized 2X by using TB and Resample. Then you use Slicer and FS Texture Converter to recreate the textures at 128x128 pixels. The image size for a LOD9 Area would be 2048x2048 pixels instead of 4096x4096 for the 256x256 texture size.You would need to rename the textures from the slices that Slicer produces. I do this all the time with an Excel spreadsheet I wrote that I use to create a batch file that renames textures.Just checking to see if someone has checked to see if the 128 pixel textures work before I go through checking it myself.Frank

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think so:Microsoft has fixed 256x256. But the only man who can help is Martin Wright. He should be able to make 256x256 textures with 128x128 qualiry and 11KB.Pit

256x256 textures will always be 43k whatever you do. They need to be in DXT1 format and that dictates how big the filesize will be.Using 128x128 sounds plausible though. I know it won`t accept larger sizes like 512x512 but 128x128 might work.I just did some experiments and it does work (sort of)I converted the Atlanta textures to 128x128 and went to have a look. It was there alright (though slightly fuzzy). However slewing around for a while I noticed the textures disappeared and took an age to come back (I did a similar flight over Heathrow to see if it was a general thing with Photoreal but I didn`t see the same effect there).If anyone wants to try a more detailed experiment. What I did was duplicate the texture folder (as "Texture_") then use ConvIm to Batch-convert the Texture_ textures into the Texture folder using FS70 DXT1 output and using the resize option to scale them to 128x128 during the conversion. Only takes a short time and you can restore the original afterwards by deleting the Texture folder and renaming the Texture_ folder to Texture