Sign in to follow this  

Build Mesh Scenery for Northern South America using GTo

Hi everybody,I have been searching for some good elevation scenery for South America, specifically for Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela, but cannot find any. I am thinking about jumping into the terrabuilder stuff to try and create it using Gtopo 30 data. In your experience, is this a bad idea or a good idea. I wanted to get your opinion before I invest alot of time. Thanks for your input,Shane Lewis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Shane,No need to invest a lot of time for this task - it is all relatively simple.The real question is how much you want to do it.And, if you can get sufficiently detailed information. Getting the tepuis right will require pretty high resolution.Good luck.Luis

>Hi everybody, >>I have been searching for some good elevation scenery for >South America, specifically for Colombia, Ecuador and >Venezuela, but cannot find any. I am thinking about jumping >into the terrabuilder stuff to try and create it using Gtopo >30 data. In your experience, is this a bad idea or a good >idea. I wanted to get your opinion before I invest alot of >time. >>Thanks for your input, >>Shane Lewis Shane,Terrabuilder is still unable to produce SDK-compatible mesh. There are a few apps that do this, and TB will be capable of this, hopefully soon! For now, it just does the default-to-custom texture replacement over an area.GTOPO30 is too coarse of a resolution for a mesh upgrade. I think even the default mesh is better (or at least equal) to GTOPO30 resolution. You'll have to dig deeper to get data for these areas. One way to do this is the "hard way", using the topographical charts to draw a grayscale image of the topography. Time consuming, but not impossible.

Thanks Misho, I suppose I do have to decide how bad I want to do this, then find some higher res data. Thanks for your helpShane