Sign in to follow this  

Using higher resolution bitmaps?

Now that I'm getting the hang of this, is there any way we can use perhaps 512x512 bitmaps in areas where we need higher details, such as airport tarmacs and such? Maybe someone has found a way to fool the scenery engine into displaying such a bitmap instead of the 4.8m/pixel 256x256 bitmap... Thanks for any info on this...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There has been (very recently) a lot of discussion on this topic, and I don't think anyone got anywhere with it. There was a brief moment of hope, but I think it turned out that the FS2K2 used a 256x256 mip-level of the 512x512 bitmap.

Thanks Misho! I feared the worst! I guess we are stuck with 4.8m/pixels for now.. I rather use the 4.8m/pixel terrain instead of the 1m MeshWith1Tex technique, which like you have stated, was a waste of time...Let's hope FS2004 gives us a surprise and jacks up the default terrain resolution to at least 2m!!!

>Let's hope FS2004 gives us a surprise and jacks up the >default terrain resolution to at least 2m!!! I agree - that should be at least an option, especially when designing high-resolution airports and surroundings.

Use gMax fence. That should run with 512x512 Material. make 1m resolution or less. Set hunderts of elevation poits at roofs from the houses or cars on the streets and set lots of trees in between. For beginners try the Gmax SDK.