Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Creating Terrain from X,Y,Z Data

I would like to create some special terrain in FS2002 from X,Y,Z data. X and Y being rectangular coordinates and Z being the height of the terraine at position X,Y. The X,Y,Z coordinates represent some scientific data that I would like to fly over in FS2002. It would be a lot of fun to inspect and demo my data in FS. I don't know anything about terrain or scenery design but from what I have found so far, my impression is that I need the terrain elevation data in the form of a DEM file. Does anyone know of an application that will create a DEM file form X,Y,Z tables? I would be like to have all terrain at the same height (Z) be the same color. If no such application exists, I create a DEM file from the grayscale value in a bit map? Is this not the right Forum for this question can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Tom

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Tom,No idea how you can make a DEM file from a table, but you may want to take a look at Grises50 (available in major libraries) for creating the DEM file from gray scale.I believe that TerraBuilder does not presently handle altitude mesh - perhaps Misho could confirm or infirm?Ground2K (in the library) can also create an altitude mesh (although I think that it uses a different method from the usual.)Best regards.Luis

Luis, Thanks for the tip. I'll look at Grises50. I'm surprised that I haven't found something yet. There has to be something out there.Tom

No, at the moment, TB does not handle mesh. I am in a (long overdue) process of implementing this. I am also holding out for the SRTM data to become widely available.

Well, if you could manage to convert your set of data to be x=pixels in lenght, y=pixels in width and z=pixels in grayscale(0 to 255) then Martin Wright's FSTerrain could do the rest...Frank