Sign in to follow this  

Lining Up

What is the easiest way of lining up the scenery actually in the program.I've tried the 1 point system where I tell it where that point is in the scenery - and that hasn't worked.I'm now trying to get there manually by altering the latitude and longitude points a little at a time, but it's taking 20 minutes every time to compile it.Can I change the lat/long points without having to recompile? I don't really want to spend another 24 hours trying to get this right

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The LOD square borders remain in the same place, whatever you do, so by shifting the co-ordinates the picture is sliced differently each time. You therefore need to resample the image each time.The real question here is why doesn't the calibration work? I suspect that you are working with a LINZ image. These always need to be carefully resized and rotated. I've covered this in detail in the Godzone magazine. There are a number of techniques to align the image with the FS world, but you won't get a perfect fit -- the way in which FS handles the mesh and coastlines means that there will be a lot of inconsistencies. It certainly helps if you have an actual known point in both FS and the image -- for instance, in the Christchurch scenery which I've just completed there is really only one place for the Sugarloaf tower, so it was easy to position the image there. The hard bit is working out the scale and degree of rotation!If you don't have a starting point like that then you might need to take some before and after top-down screenshots, and try to figure out first the degree of rotation, then the displacement.If you are working on an area with NZ I really recommend that you buy the godzone magazine -- see my site for details.

I do have that sitting in my little cd drive at the moment as I work through it :)I followed the idea of the centre, and yes I'm working on the linz approach :)I finally got it satisfactory yesterday, and now in the process of trying to colour the image (looks ok) and deciding whether to get an even larger layout after seeing how little the 4 for tauranga produced.I've done some roads, and tried to do some better looking city colours (hehehe, not so good at this stage) and next I need to figure out how to move a mountain (well Mount Maunganui) as it's not quite sitting right for my landscape.Any idea when you are going to get the second installment out?Thanks for the great work :)Virtual Canterbury Flying Clubhttp://www.nzdragons.com/flight/index.php

Here is how I line up the LINZ photos which may be some help.First use the LINZ "topgraphics maps" (from the 260 map index)for the area you are using and note the maximum northing and minimum easting (i.e. the northwest corner). Then download the New Zealand Map Grid calculator from www.wherearewe.co.nz. Enter the northing and easting numbers as point one and use the "convert to lat/long" button to establish latitude and longitude. To work out the degree of rotation needed (which changes depending on location), enter the northwest corner as point one and south west corner as point 2 (enter as northing and easting points from the topographic map info). Use the buttons to change from northing/easting to lat/long, then hit the "calculate distance and bearing" button. The northing/easting direction will be 180 degrees, but the true bearing box will show the degree of rotation needed. Then use your graphics editing programme to rotate the image and compile with terrabuilder. You will still need to do some tweaking with lat/long to fine tune the location within fs2002. I usually take a screen shot and compare points within the Linz photo bitmap working out the pixel distance to move the image in a north/south or east/west direction, convert pixels to metres at 4.8m/pixel and use the NZMG calculator to work out the new northwest corner point.Cheers