Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

your 30 seconds could make my whole day, a laymans question

Hi, thx for the attention,whenever I try to compile my very first testing-project I get a 'missing .INF-file'prompt window. All required preference settings are, after numerous inspections, ok. What I tried was following: Importing scenery bitmap and importing grayscale-bitmap for the altitude parameters.Then I read a fromer post from this forum:----------------quoted----------------------------'I am not sure, but are you trying to make an altitude mesh with TerraBuilder?If so, then you should know that the present version of TerraBuilder does not support this function.'-----------------------------------------------------Call me a fool, but what sense makes a mesh without altitude? Do I need terrabuilder to do a flat bitmapped rectangle?What point am I missing? Can altitude data of an other form, shape or consitence be imported into TB and if so, how?any help is highly and desperately admiredJodok

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In its present form TB is used only for generating photorealistic terrain. It converts photographs to textures that are laid on top of whatever altitude mesh you have loaded. There are other methods available to generate altitude mesh.In the past, with older versions of FS, the generation of photorealistic scenery required that the altitude be supplied with the textured polygons. Previous versions of TB accounted for this, and some of the menu commands are still in the program, but are not functional now. With FS2000 and FS 2002 the phototextures can be draped over an existing terrain mesh.I believe that Misho is planning on removing the obsolete functions from TB and is planning on incorporating the current altitude mesh generation into the program. For a one man effort for a great product that he offers free for the lite version, and at a resonable price for the pro version, lets cut him a little slack.Frank

Thanks, Frank! Couldn't have said it better myself. I will still keep the old approach, but I will make it less accessible, because people still tend to wander off in the wrong direction :)I will incorporate mesh building soon. It is not such a huge "hole" in TB, as there are a lot of good freeware programs available that will do this. What TB will have, however, is the on-screen editing of individual altitudes - a huge plus!I will also try to support new formats, such as the SRTM data.

You've been putting out some Excellent scenery, judging by the screenshots!