Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Disabling textures?

Hello folks,I know that if I want to prevent a certain bitmap texture from shwoing up (ex. water), I just create an alpha texture for it and when the scenery loads in FS2002, the bitmap will not show.. But even if the bitmap is "transparent", does it still affect performance? Since the entire bitmap will be transparent, is there a way I can prevent the bitmap from loading up at all?If I delete the bitmap, the area where the bitmap belongs will be shown in a whole color, in my case it shows up as a brown square...I am confused about this... If the bitmap if fully transparent, does it still take up memory as if it was being displayed as the rest of the bitmaps?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hola Efrain,The ground in the game must always have: - an altitude mesh, even if the value is 0; - a land class (or water class) value, although in the case of custom textures, this value is 252 or 253; and - a ground texture to cover the ground.You cannot eliminate the texture. In addition, it is just a custom texture replacing the default texture, so you should not see performance issues. The initial loading of the textures in memory may take longer depending on the size of your scenery, but this is all.Best regards.Luis

>I know that if I want to prevent a certain bitmap texture from>shwoing up (ex. water), I just create an alpha texture for it>and when the scenery loads in FS2002, the bitmap will not>show..True for the old "MeshWith1Tex" and "TexRelief" approach, but not for the new SDK approach. If you define alpha, you will get water, not transparency.I am not sure if the default bitmap will show up if you omit the custom bitmap.

If the bgl points to a texture that is not available or does not exist, it will show as a grey square.Frank