Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

How to merge border textures

Is there a way to cleanly merge the default land cover texture with a terrabuilder created photo texture at the borders of the image?I am working with a bitmap that is about 40km x 30km. I tried taking screen shots in fs2002 along the photo terrain edges at an altitude equating to 4.8m/pixel then used the clone brush in psp to merge the default texture from the screen shot into the photo texture. By

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Scott,Try CellGrid by Richard Ludowise (in the library) - this will place a LOD13 grid over the scenery so that you can see the precise placement of the ground textures. Then, just take a screenshot and blend the textures surrounding your custom tiles with your original image.Please note that the grid will not show over the custom tiles, but that should not be a problem.Best regards.Luis

Even better: If TerraBuilder could do all of the above for you!Blending is one of the most important features and I would love to put this in. Programatically it is fairly easy, but I need to know what texture is at a certain LOD. I was told that there is a utility that reads the FS2K2 landclass file and reports what texture is where. I would need to incorporate that into TB and the blending would be a matter of simply mapping pixels from default or custom texture, depending on some pre-defined mask.

That would be a good addition, Misho. The utility that I use is called tmfviewer. its from the terrain sdk. You open the landclass bgl, worldlc.bgl, and give it your location. It depects a color difference when landclass changes, and displays the landclass three digit code per color. You have to translate that into its respective texture number using a lookup table. The only version of that table I have was put together by Orlando Satolmeyer (sp?). (Sorry Orlando). I think Rhumbaflappy has a different table. Since there are six variants of each texture, like 021B2SU1, 021b2Su2, etc... and several regions, b2 just being what I use for the USA...and seasons....you'll have a bit of work ahead of you.I find that for best results, I'll copy all variants of the landclass at one of my borders and mosaic them. Then I'll do a bitmap fill (corel jargon), also called a define pattern/pattern fill (photoshop jargon), to fill a layer of my source file. Then if I cut the source image layer away using feather on my cutting tool, I expose the appropriate landclass imagry and get a nice image to submit to resample.good luck,Bob Bernstein

I would need to extract the texture code from the BGL file. Then this could be automated within TB. Does TMFViewer export the output into a text file somehow? Look up table would be easy to hard-code...

Thanks Guys, I now have a few ideas to try.

<Not that I can tell, Misho, course you know better than I how to investigate a windows program. from the standard user interface, all you can do is move the mouse and read a readout at the bottom of the screen. BTW, if you haven't used it, you may find it troubling to find the zoom, use F1 and F2 keys.attached is an excel file, its a copy of orlandos html file. The spreadsheet is better for sorting. I changed the filetype to txt to upload it. I think you can just rename it back to xls, and it should work.Bob Bernstein

Hello Misho,I would not recommend the use of Orlando Sotomayor's look-up table. He made it at a time when most of this was not understood, and it contains numerous inconsistencies.Christian Stock includes the complete table in his TMF Manual (in the library). This table is only valid for the present version of the game, because, as mostly North American textures exist, the table references them for all parts of the world. This will probably change in the next version when the Development Team provides a greater variety of world textures.Best regards.Luis