Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

.inf file problem

I have installed TerraBuilder ProI have put Scasm and in fact the entire FS2000 SDK in the TerraBuilder folder and have set all the paths correctly in the preferences.When I try to compile I get a "couldn't open .inf file" message and then click OK. A window called Microsoft Terrain SDK Builder opens but most of the buttons are greyed out.How do I create an inf file for Terrabuilder to find?Any help appreciated.Ray Hallock

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I had the same problem and I have been told it mainly appears when trying to import grayscale data, an option, albeit featured by TB, that is not an option operationwise....surely Misha knows a lot more about it.Frank

Hi Frank,Well you are the first response to this question since I posted it 10 days ago.I never had this problem with the old version of TB, only since I upgraded to a new version.I can only assume that new documentation is in process as the old stuff certainly does not work.Anyway I have pretty much given up on TerraBuilder since I can't figure out how to alleviate this problem.Like so many other FS products, it seemed like a real good idea at the time but doesn't seem to have any support.Ray

Hmmmm...There is a reason no-one is responding: the process works, but you need to read the instructions.The "Release Notes" HTML document included in TerraBuilder package (it should have also opened automatically when you installed TB) clearly states that the mesh creation is not supported for the moment. There are also a clear, step-by-step instructions on how to create SDK-type Photorealistic terrain.Often people ask the same question as you did, only to answer it themselves by saying "oops, sorry, I found the answer in the documentation included". I guess everyone assumed (including myself) that you found it out yourself as well.

Sorry MishoI wasn't trying to be a dork. I made mesh before with TB so I thought I still could. I knew this was a new version but just assumed the old way would still work.Apologies.

No apologies needed... Actually, I falsely assumed that no-one would need the "old" approach since SDK methods solved so many of the old drawbacks. But I guess in a few special cases, "old" method is still preferred.To recap:"Chunk" (old) method: (Invoked using "PhotoWizard")Places the Mesh/Photorealistic "chunk" on TOP of the existing default terrain. This suffers from a lot of visibility and terrain hardness problems, but it lets user define almost any resolution of mesh and bitmap. It is completely independent of LOD. This approach is DISABLED."SDK" (new) method: (Invoked using "PhotoTerrain")RE-places the default TERRAIN TEXTURE with the user-supplied photo-realistic textures, at the fixed LOD13 level (4.8 m/pix)