Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

lost previous post on a technique to minimise the need for seasonal textures

I print out most posts which interest me, but I can't find one I think I saw here some time ago on a technique where it was possible to create less than the four seasonal textures.I have a largish project which because of the way I colourised the image there won't be differing seasonal textures, just night textures. Although it will be distributed on CD the need for 5 x 40MB doesn't make sense. Anyone have a copy of this, or better yet who posted it ?!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

dunno, but if your saying that the seasons should look the same all year, why no do what I did, and write a batch file that makes a directory, then copies your textures to that, renames them copies them back out, renames again...etc...and populate the final directory sturcture on the fly. Then all you need to include is summer and night textures, and the batch file.Bob B

No can do...You have 2 options, which are handled by TB:Summer textures only (NO NIGHT EFFECTS!)All seasons, including night.Activating a LM option (Lightmap - Night textures) will cause scenery engine to ask for seasonal textures as well. This is rather dumb, because Lightmap is now considered "seasonal" texture. I wish they would fix that for FS2004.One solution would be to create a batch file that will, upon installation to user's HD, copy-and-rename all your summer textures into 5 sets and rename them as seasonal.What you should also check into is the following: Some areas/latitudes ask for only 2 seasons, as if Spring and Fall don't exist (which is true for some areas). check to see if spring/fall are actually used in your area. I did this by creating a bogus project consisting of 5 bright colors (for distinct visibility) for each season (Including "Hard" winter) and then going into each season and making sure they all activate.This is BTW a SDK shortcoming, not TB's.

Thanks to you both. I did have an idea that someone had figured out a way to get around this, but no such luck. I don't mind including all the seasonal textures, even though they are the same, as there will be space on the CD -- it just offends me that I need a five-fold increase in texture folder size just to get night textures. It certainly helps me make up the promised quota of 350MB of scenery per disc :)The area does need four seasons, but luckily no Hard Winter. That's something, I suppose...

with all due respect to Misho, fs2k2 does NOT require you have all seasons to display night textures. That may be an issue for terrabuilder, that I can't say. While I like terrabuilder, I learned the process for terrain before this version of TB was released, so I use my own tools.There is no need either that the one day season has to be summer. You can provide only xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxsp.bmps, and lms, and you'll see spring and night display during the spring, if you then switch the sim to a different season, you'll see the grey textures.Which means you can produce just the one day and one night seasons, and distribute it that way...then using a batch file like I said before, you can expand the single season into all the others for the user, all on that persons hard drive.If you need help with tools or workarounds..let me know.Bob Bernstein

>with all due respect to Misho, fs2k2 does NOT require you>have all seasons to display night textures. That may be an>issue for terrabuilder, that I can't say.Bob,That's what I meant: if you don't include all seasons, you will see gray squares instead of textures. That is a scenery design no-no, for me at least...In my somewhat limited experience, I found that if you do NOT use withseasons=1 switch, *su.bmp textures will show in ALL seasons, and you won't be able to use LM texture. They are then considered default textures. resample.exe will make *su.bmp textures (not *sp.bmp or *wi.bmp or any other) by default and use them in all seasons.If you DO use this switch, then any of the seasonal textures you do NOT include will show up as gray squares.TerraBuilder does this automatically - if you simply declare one texture, it will automatically assume "withseasons=0" condition and assume a default texture throughout all the seasnos.If you declare one texture (as default) AND night texture, "withseasons=1" condition kicks in and FS will expect ALL of the rest of the seasons. That does not mean that FS will refuse to display summer (default) texture - it will simply show grey squares in place of all the missing seasonal textures.It is really too bad that MS decided to treat night texture as a "season" a put it into the same basket...

Hi all.It's too bad FS2002 doesn't allow us to "alias" texture names... that would solve a lot of problems. I had wondered if we could use a local "seasons.bgl" to force one season to be used with a large CUSTOM project... I'll have to study Christian Stock's documentation of these structures to see if it is possible. I think that would end the gray squares problem, when in a different season, because we could force only one season to be used with the scenery.Dick

If you could crack that, that would be great news for all of us.It seem that there always needs to be a workaround for something.Who knows, perhaps they fix this for FS2004. Ther ARE greatly improving water effect...

Hi all.After studying Christian Stock's TMF_Manual, I was able to create a seasons.bgl.I made the whole earth summer for every month. The compressed file is very small ( 26 kb ).Christian had mentioned a localised seasons.bgl could be made. "Seasons BGL files are used in FS2002 exactly like land class BGL files. Single LOD2 quadrants can be created and added into a local scenery folder and the localised seasons BGL files will display in FS2002."I have not found this to be true. I'll have to experiment more.What I have found is that seasons.bgl must be in the main "Scenery" folder, along with worldlc.bgl, and other default TMF world files. This BGL cannot be renamed, as the sim will exit if it is not present. I can susbtitute "EndlessSummer.bgl" in the main "Scenery" folder, by renaming it as seasons.bgl... then we have endless summer, but it cannot be deactivated with the Scenery Library.I can also add "Endlesssummer.bgl" to the main "Scenery" folder, but I must rename it so that it alphanumerically falls after seasons.bgl! "seasons_01.bgl" works fine, but again, it cannot be deactivated.I can use "EndlessSummer.bgl" in it's own project folder ( EndlessSummer ) with 'scenery' and 'texture' sub-folders, if I place the folder below the "Default Scenery" entry in the Scenery Library! ( position #2 ).So unless I stumble onto a trick here, it's not a good solution to eliminate the gray squares.Dick

Success!The key to making a seasons BGL is that it should be a single LOD2 area. Other LOD sizes won't work, as Christian discovered. But a world-sized file also will not work, unless it effectively replaces the default seasons.bgl.. it will not work locally in the way we would want.An LOD2 sized seasons BGL can exist in a local 'scenery' folder, and there can be a twin 'texture' folder... so it works fine, right in the same folder with the CUSTOM bgl produced by resample. It can have any name you like. I haven't tried the results with multiple seasons BGLs in the same folder. But I suspect it will work, without having to add any extra TMFmerging (?)Just follow Christian's guidelines for the INF and the merging of the different months in his TMF Manual:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&Go=Change+ViewThe seasons BGL will allow you to have nights and selected seasons ( only summer if desired ), without any of the square gray "missing" textures displayed.I tested this idea with Flight Ontario's ThunderBay scenery:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...&Go=Change+ViewAdding a small 4kb seasons BGL to THBAY's 'scenery' folder forces the sim to display only summer... no matter what season is chosen... for the LOD2 area. Here's a link to that small BGL and all the INF and batch files needed to make it. ( double-click on EndlessSummer.bat ) The files can be easily altered to make seasons bgls for your own projects:http://www.flatface.net/~rhumba/Zips/n67+w90.zip==================This might be a nice option for Misho to add to TerraBuilder. ;)Dick

>Success!Excellent! Great stuff!>This might be a nice option for Misho to add to TerraBuilder. I will certainly look into it! It seems fairly easy!