Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottR

Fit the image help

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have found that, for some locations in FS, the placement of the scenery simply does not correspond to the coordinates. That is, a certain geographical location in TB always winds up being placed at an offset in FS, even though the geographical locations in TB and FS match up. I can't explain this, but the only way to fix this is trial and error.

With the images I use I always have to rotate slightly first -- so I need to figure out the degree of rotation. This is normally a simple matter of taking a top-down screenshot of the relevent area in FS, then overlay a screenshot of the photo-image. (A screenshot rather than the actual image, which would be awkward to work with!)By making the photo transparent enough to see the underlying default image I can resize/rotate to get a best-fit. It's then a simple matter to measure the degree of rotation and apply this to the actual photo image. (simple if your imaging tools have these measurement capabilities.)Then it needs to be cropped to get rid of the white corners.I have just finished a scenery made up of 4 30x40km areas in a row. Each scenery, although the pictures continue on photographically, needs to be rotated to a different angle! This means that I need to 'borrow' part of image 2 to extend image 1, so that the borders are not lost in the translation. Because the corners are rotated quite substantially in relation to each other (I'm talking less than 1 degree, but the translation over 40 kms is quite large -- up to 330 metres!) I don't expect everything to line up perfectly. I'm happy with 95% accuracy!

Robin,For checking the degree of rotation needed for LINZ aerial photos you can easily determine this in advance using the New Zealand Map Grid calculator from www.wherearewe.co.nz. See my response to the "lining up" thread.Regards