Sign in to follow this  

Autogen and number of texture files

Hi, I'm new in this forum and although I've searched the libery I haven't found the answer to my questions. So I hope I don't bore you with things allready discussed here... and if so - I beg your pardon.So what I'd like to understand is how the autogen feature works together with TerraBuilder. When having created a scenery all of theautogen is gone. Ok - this is allricht for the scenery itsself. But I used THERMIEK to build a bgl which adds thermal effects to this scenery region. THERMIEK requires autogen at least to be set to minimum. So in my TB built region the thermik effects don't appear.How can I make them work again?An other question is, that the scenery I built with TB (about 49 x 37 km in size, source bitmap 5120 x 4096 pixels, resolution 9,6 m / pixel) results in more than 1500 files!! Is that normal? Is there any way to reduce this?Any help / comments welcome.Herbert

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Herbert (Jonas?),You will need the Microsoft Autogen Software Development Kit to add autogen to your custom textures. Go to:http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/default.aspand get it at the "Developer's Desk".Every ground texture with autogen has an associated autogen file (extension .agn) that indicates the type of buildings and trees on that texture.It is very easy to create an autogen "annotation" for a ground texture, but tedious to do it for 1500 textures.Try drawing one annotation full of trees and houses, then copy that agn file many times and rename then with the names of your custom ground textures. This will still take a long time and a lot of effort, but is easier than drawing every autogen annotation individually.Your ground textures cover a wide area and generate a lot of textures. The only way to reduce the number of ground textures is to cover a much smaller area.Good luck.Best regards.Luis

Thank you Luis, I'll give it a try and tell you about my success.(Call me Herbert or Herbie - Jonas is my login. Why not Herbert or Herbie? Can't tell you....)

Have a look at an old post of mine for a variation on the copy agn method.It involves scanning through them using convim ( or similer ) and assigning a type to each. Eg forest, suburb, grass using a single keystroke. I then use the list of keystrokes in Xcel to generate a copy batch file. Click on teh bat and hey presto. You can do 30-40 a second this way.regards Patrick F