Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottR

Flattening the sea

I have used Terrabuilder to put a photorealistic image over an island (in this case Waiheke Island in Auckland's Hauraki Gul), using an alpha mask to show the sea. Unfortunately, the default FS2002 island is a simple shape while the real island has lots of bays and inlets,most of which are over the top of the underlying terrain. The result is that the sea appears to go up the side of hills in many places - not a good look!I then used Christian Fumey's excellent Ground2k to create "lakes" at each inlet and bay which drags the terrain back down to sea level and gives a very good result.However, this is quite a labourious process which duplicates the effort required to make a mask in the first place and also, for best results, the image in Ground2k needs to be placed at precisely the same place as the Terrabuilder image in FS2002, not an easy thing to do. My question is this: Is there an easier way to make all the sea area shown as "black" in an alpha mask appear at sea level i.e. zero altitude? Can this be done within Terrabuilder?Regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi ScottR.Chris Wright's AutoASM was on track to accomplish this... and actually might do the job for you. What you need is a source for the shoreline data, and the ability to create a georeferenced mask image for that program. Your alpha mask probably will do the trick!Search the Scenery Design forum for "AutoASM".Dick

ScottI'd be interested in what you've done there -- I'm releasing a Waiheke scenery in the Godzone magazine issue two this week. This is the top half of a 40 x 60 km area, and although the 'fit' isn't bad this is an issue which will have to be dealt with some time. At the moment I don't have the time to work on this, but if you could offer some help I'd appreciate it.

No problem Robin.I have mailed you a CD with the scenery on it today.Regards