Sign in to follow this  

Elevation Mesh without textures ?

G'day Misho, First of all thankyou for a great program ( all versions ). I just have a couple of questions that need clarifying for me. Firstly I am currently working on a project and need to create some mountains as default is flat as a tack. I tried using an older TB version and grey-scale map. What I want to know is can I create mesh WITHOUT a texture bmp so as my landclass can show up?If so is it a setting in TB? Secondly,I have access to very hi-res aerials of my area on a disk, each image being approx.5000*5000 pixels, around 70 image tiles.When I try to put them together as a mosaic some must be slightly distorted as any manipulation in Paintshop pro 7 cannot get the adjacent tile images to align,any suggestions to fix this?. Any assistance with these 2 topics would be greatly appreciated,I have searched the archives to no avail.Again thanks for your time and effort for a great program. Steve.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Steve, maybe I can at least help you with one of your questions:I don't think that it's possible with TB to create mesh without texture. BUT there is a freeware called FSTerrain made by Martin Wright http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htm which can do this. I used it with GTOPO30 elevation data from http://edcdaac.usgs.gov/gtopo30/gtopo30.html and got pretty good results. This freeware can also give you greyscale elevation bitmaps for further use in TB.Hope this helps, Herbert.

>G'day Misho, First of all thankyou for a great program ( all>versions ).thanks!!!What I want to know is can I create mesh WITHOUT a texture bmp>so as my landclass can show up?If so is it a setting in TB?No, not yet. I will activate this option soon! What is cool about it is that, you will be able to EDIT your elevation points right on top of your picture in TB! I don't think any utility does this already...> Secondly,I have access to very hi-res aerials of>my area on a disk, each image being approx.5000*5000 pixels,>around 70 image tiles.When I try to put them together as a>mosaic some must be slightly distorted as any manipulation in>Paintshop pro 7 cannot get the adjacent tile images to>align,any suggestions to fix this?.I usually place them each on their own layer, set them transparent, and then adjust and move/size them until their common details fit right on top of each other. If they need to be rotated ever so slightly, it is a bit more difficult, but there is a topic in this forum that deals with that.

No, not yet. I will activate this option soon! What is cool about it is that, you will be able to EDIT your elevation points right on top of your picture in TB! I don't think any utility does this already...In my opinion, that feature it

Thanks both Misho and Julio for your advice.Looks like I will join the queue to wait for the new version of TB to come out ( Not meaning to put any pressure on you LOL !...just kidding). The aerial images I have do need to be rotated on occasion and it seems to get to the point where it seems impossible to align the adjoining.If you can point me to the post that also would be appreciated, I will look for it as well. Julio I tried fs terrain but something I was doing was amiss.I will have to keep trying till I get the hang of it.There seems to be very limited free data and imagery on the internet for my area which is north-east Australia, which is a pity because there is some beautiful country around here.

Hi Steve, can it be that you ment me, concerning FSTerrain?What's the problem you had with it? Assuming you got the GOTPO30 data from the website I gave the link, one possible error could be the extraction of the .tar file: If you useed WinZip, be shure that the option - miscellaneous - TAR smart conversion is UNCHECKED.The DEM file must have exactly 56.250 kb = 56.600.000 Bytes. Otherwise FSTerrain indeed will mess up.

I originally was trying to do it with a grey-scale bmp but I think I was putting coordinates in wrong, or LOD .Anyway I found some GTOPO 30 for Eastern Australia and tried it in FSTerrain. FSTerrain worked very well..problem was the data ( even after doubling the resolution)the scenery was basically same as default. I must emphasise it was the data( or the operator LOL ) that was at fault...not the program.