Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottR

The dissapearing ground

Ok, I maybe bhind the times in some areas but don't laugh. I hate it when things get harder than they should. I am still using Terrabuilder 1.97.04. Yes I know there is newer ones out there. I didn't have the patiences to dig into the INF way of doing things so I stayed with this version. This sceenery and method has work up until tonight when I added all my scenery to 2004. It won't let me post the photos on here. It says they are too big. But in 2004 the tiles are gone completely. I just overlayed the tiel over the default scenery to begin with. I have tried flattening below the the tile height, still nothing. I really don't use the DEM stuff to my altitudes for the tiles. The ones I can't find are way off from the area I am working in. I usually place the tiles 1 meter about the default. Like I said it has worked great for the past 2 versions of FS. Now it isn't working. If someone will explain to me how to do the INF without using the DEM's it would be great. I have approx 280 sq miles of 1 meter res color satelite photos. I don't want to start from scratch again. Can someone help?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm not able to remember what commands that version invoked but I suspect they were vintage fs2000....texrelief probably. If I'm right then you've proven what MS told us some time ago, that fscof is only backward compatible to fs2k2. Your scenery technique is older than that.Time to learn the new ways...not really hard if you give it some effort, good luck!Bob Bernstein

So you are saying I am old as dirty with my ways, lol. Can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess. I have the updated version of lite...Whatever the latest version is. From what I can't tell I am still able to use the bmp grayscale stuff for the elevation maps. I just can't get the INF file create and from there on I am lost. Maybe I am lost because I can't get that to work. I need a step by step instruction from opening the program to compiling the BGL. If the same methods apply in the wizard section then I don't need that part. I looked at the SDK. They started talking about command lines this and that. Terabuilder from what I can't tell removes that part and does it for you.

yes, this I do sympathise with....sorry but I suspect you'll have to struggle for a bit, but you'll figure it out. I'm sorry that I can't guide you much, but I don't use terrabuilder. I've been writing my inf files by hand since before Misho upgraded terrabuilder, so I still do. I could share with you a spreadsheet I use to calculate the inf properties and an inf file corresponding to the spreadsheet.otherwise...the folks here will be happy to help you with terrabuilder. The biggest hassle for Misho was he felt compelled to retain older elements of the program, but these will mess you up tring to work fs2k2 or above terrain. Bob Bernstein

Bob is right, it is time to use some of the newer tools available!I don't claim to be an expert or to understand the code behind the programming, but you can do just about anything with the 3 programmes, Terrabuilder lite, Ground 2K and Gmax. TB lets you lay huge photoreal bitmaps over terrain, G2K enable you to flatten areas, and remesh terrain under photoreal textures, as well as modify coastlines add roads and rivers and lakes, lay down textured polygons, and change landclass on the default terrain, and of course with GMax you can create buildings and scenery and add photo textures to them.All these programmes have good tutorials and the avsim forums are a great help.Good luck