Sign in to follow this  

Why does Terrabuilder 'crop' my source imagery?

Hello, I'm using TB Lite and having some difficulty generating aerial photo scenery. Specifically, Terrabuilder crops the edges of my aerial imagery before compiling into BGL format. The end result is that I don't get the entire original image in my compiled scenery; rather, I get scenery with the edges of my original bitmap image 'shaved off'.In the scenery issues dialog box, Terrabuilder affirms that it will edit my original image before compiling and advises me to edit this image beforehand with Photoshop or Paintshop but doesn't elaborate further. Why is Terrabuilder doing this?For source imagery I'm using the USGS Digital Orthophoto Quads preview images found on the the USGS Earth Explorer site. These preview images are originally 821 x 949 pixels in size and I convert them to the closest multiples of 256 pixels before importing into Terrabuilder. Does Terrabuilder/Micosoft Terrain SDK have a maximum pixel size for imagery that it can process? Is this the reason Terrabuilder and or tne SDK is cropping my original image before compiling?Thanks very much for any insight or advice into this issue. Terrabuilder certainly is a very unique and well done program. I'm interested in purchasing the full version if it is possible to work through this issue of image cropping.Thanks again.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes you are right, imagery is not perfectly filling all of the perimeter cell areas as mentioned in the SDK. Thanks for the reply, I understand what is happening now.

Hi Dave,TerraBuilder actually does not do that - Microsoft's "resample.exe" does. I have no control over it, unfortunately, all I can do is advise on the outcome.Basically, the LOD area needs to be completely filled with the texture to be "qualified" as a valid texture, otherwise, it will be discarded because resample does not know what to put in its place. Granted, it should be smart enough to leave it "see-through" so that the original texture underneath shows, but that's a bigger problem than it looks (it requires to be processed differently)Misho

Thank you Misho. I think I've found a workaround for my particular problem and I do realize the issue is with resample.exe as you mention. What a great program Terrabuilder is, even just the features of Terrabuiler Lite, wow. Thanks again.