Sign in to follow this  
Guest Elrond

Watermask

Hi there, I was just playing around with a new image for my scenery last night and got the brilliant idea of creating a watermask rather than just drawing the water on like I had done previously...Anyway, I copied my little 167MB summer BMP and then painted the Black and White colours all over it as I had seen done in the niagara_falls_watermask.bmp file and renamed it appropiatly....When I compiled I did the SU and watermask BMP's (ignoring the other seasons at the moment) - Everything seemed to compile fine, and I transferred the contents of the texture folder over to my sceneries texture file like I have always done...When I loaded up and went for a fly inagine my suprise when the whole of the scenery was all water....As I flew towards where I knew the land should be, bits and pieces of it started appearing in front of me and when I landed it was all land around me......It seems to be that if I too far away it puts water all over the place instead of land....Anyone got any thoughts as to what the problem might be please??

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

There might be a problem with the textures. Have you also copied created BGL file?I would start by cleaning up and deleting ALL previous files and starting fresh. ALso, uninstall your scenery from the FS, and then install again.

Thanks for the reply, I thought I had done that, but will do it all again just to make sure as it was getting a little late last night and I might have missed something...Will get back to you after I wipe/reinstall and test things out...

Ok, I wiped all scenery, then re-installed it, I then wiped everything in my terrabuilder data file folders except for the BMP's and then re-compiled the scenery....I then put it into FS...I also recoloured the SU BMP water black just like the watermask.bmp incase that was the problem....I even went so far as to take out my original scenery and just use the parts of the new scenery..What happens is that around the plane I see land, and as I fly the land moves with me changing the water to land (except where there IS supposed to be water) and looking behind me, the land is turning to water again as I move further away from it...About the only thing I haven't tried yet is to do a total reinstall of FS2004 which is my last resort...One other thing I have noticed, is in the terrabuilder data files folder, that, after I compile the scenery, there are a heap of BMP's in the root directory as well as the "Alpha" directory, also the "temptexture" directory (Unconverted) - (The textures in the "Texture" directory have been converted tho)... - Don't know if this is suppose to happen or not..

You ARE using PHOTOTERRAIN function, NOT PHOTOWIZARD?Also, make sure you let Imagetool finish all the tasks. Don't assume it is done, because converting a lot of textures takes time and Imagetool is working in the background.If all else fails, go back to Niagara example and make sure everything checks out there.

Nods nods, I am using Phototerrain..I did try Niagara earlier today and it worked perfectly...I been using the old version of Terrabuilder lite for the last 2 years, but have only just switched to the latest version when I found FS2004 mucked up my coloured water, so I decided to try the watermask thing :) :)I will try again tomorrow and leave it converting for 1/4 hour or so to see if that makes a difference....Thanks for the help :)

Hokay....Now it getting really wierd....I got a friend to compile my new scenery on his machine and then test it and it worked perfectly....He then bought over the compiled scenery and we put it on my machine and it worked perfectly...I then recompiled on my machine and got the water back again...I then used MY compiled bgl file, and HIS compiled textures and it worked pefectly...So it looks like it something to do with textures....The only difference in his main BMP's was that he created the watermask BMP from my scenery BMP in Photoshop where-as I used Paintshop Pro....

Update, Niagara works perfectly....Could it be a memory problem maybe (remembering I am compiling a 167MB SU.BMP and a 167MB watermask.bmp)Update again, I halved the maps and still have water overlaying everything until I get close to it, so it can't be memory....

Thank you for the reply, The readme.txt file in the same folder as resample.exe says Terrain SDK Readme May 2000The EXE file itself is dated: 01/05/2000 and its size is 163,840

Hi Wanderer.That's the right resample version.I'm at a loss to explain it, but it does seem to be related to the alpha channel of the slices. If you load the slices into MS's ImageTool, You can get some info that should look like this:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37599.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37600.jpgAnything other than looking like this might cause a problem.Dick

Thats it......Here is a piccie... - The top one is mine, the bottom one is when a friend compiled it on his computer.... PS: When looking at the BMPs in Paintshop Pro those images are identical...

Hi Wanderer.I don't know what would be the problem with PSP ( I use it all the time ), but your mips are the problem:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37646.jpgAssuming your alpha is keyed to black, the mips are all black... so they are all water. The mips are what show at distance, so it appears as water, until you are right on top of the scenery ( where the main image shows ).Dick

Hi Dick, Just took another couple of snaps... The left one is the square out of where I have the BMP's, the right hand one is the square out of the "alpha" folder.... - all files were left in the folder where I do my compiling so I was able to get the squares....As you can see, it gets that far correctly, the BMP's have split into squares fine...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37648.jpgand here is the same square once all things have been donehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37650.jpg

Well, you not gonna believe this... - But it all fixed...You know how I said above I had been using an old version of Terrabuilder for the last couple of years, well when I downloaded the latest version last week to have a go at watermasks I didn't think I needed to download anything else as I already had everything...WRONG!!!!It seems the version of mwgfxdll.EXE I have is slightly out of date... - Just on the offchance I decided to re-download everything again incase one of the old files I had was corrupted in some way.. - mwgfxdll.EXE was the first thing I got again, and all of a sudden it all working....Sooo, anyway, my thanks to you both who tried to help me, and my appoligies for wasting your time when I should have checked myself for new versions instead of using what I already had..Hopefully this little experience might help someone else....Best Regards - John...