Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

New methods for scenery question

I know everyone has already asked the question, but are there any new sources for photoscenery? Right now, I only use TerraServer.I have done some experiments by getting scenery from TerraServer, but I have been forced to cut and paste from screenshots of the area into Photoshop. It would take me days to assemble and color just a few square miles of scenery (since TerraServer is in black and white). Is there an automated tool for doing this?Also, I've done some basic work with Misho's TerraBuilder. However, it does not allow me to place buildings, navaids, ATIS, taxiways, ILS/LOC's, airport lighting, etc. How does one do this? Lastly, has anyone written a tutorial on getting the elevation component for the scenery? I understand that TerraBuilder has this capability. Suppose I get scenery from TerraServer, then how do I go upon matching these bitmaps precisely with elevation?Many thanksDash80==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have some good news for ya: There is a free software called USAPhotoMaps: get it at http://jdmcox.com/It downloads photos from TerraServer and assembles them and then you can save a nice big jpg file to work with. Re: Elevation component. TerraBuilder can do this but nothing is automated. You have to assemble the INF file yourself, set source and destination sections, etc. I've been working on hte automated component and it's been dragging on, but in the mean time there are a few other apps that do this (FSTerrain, for example)

Hi Misho. Thanks. I was able to start trying a test area of a local airport. Have you had issues with it wanting more virtual memory than available. I cranked up my virtual memory to 4 gb and it still says I don't have enough.Also, if I don't have an elevation map of any kind, will TerraBuilder simply use the MS default elevation maps?Lastly, have you found any ways to build airports on top of TerraBuilder works? I have Architect, but I haven't found a way to make it give me a photorealistic background (extracted from your program) so that I can position things precisely on it.==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.

>I know everyone has already asked the question, but are there>any new sources for photoscenery? Right now, I only use>TerraServer.Persistant Web searching pays off - there are a few places other than continental US that are covered (New Zealand has an excellent coverage: http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/r...exmap/index.jsp) and here is a site that has overhead pics of almost all of the bush airports:http://www.alaska.faa.gov/fai/airports2.htm

>Hi Misho. Thanks. I was able to start trying a test area of>a local airport. Have you had issues with it wanting more>virtual memory than available. I cranked up my virtual memory>to 4 gb and it still says I don't have enough.Not really, I haven't had any issues - I haven't been creating huge sceneries. But the system should be using hard drive for this...>Also, if I don't have an elevation map of any kind, will>TerraBuilder simply use the MS default elevation maps?>yes, absolutely.>Lastly, have you found any ways to build airports on top of>TerraBuilder works? I have Architect, but I haven't found a>way to make it give me a photorealistic background (extracted>from your program) so that I can position things precisely on>it.I'm not up to the latest runway methods, sorry.However, you can "nudge" tb scenery underneath the airport by changing coordinate extents slightly until you get it just right.