Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cazador

FSTexConvert.exe Bug

Dear All:I was making some tests converting Phototerrain textures with Alpha channer with FSTexConvert.exe and ConvDXT, but the results had bad quality in the mipmaps generated.For example i compared 2 textures, the first created by ImageTool and the other created with FSTexConvert.exe, when i compared the mipmap #4 is see a single line in the imagetool DXT1 image, and a i see a row of dots instead a lines in the DXT1 image generate with FSTexConvert.exe.I discovered this when i was flyng over my scenery and at long distance I watched a row of dots where must be a road.When i convert the textures with imagetooll i see the mipmas with more quality at long distances.Is there way to add watermask or alphachanner in batch mode with Imagetool?imagetool -terrainphoto -e bmp *.bmp ????Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't believe so. I looked into it long and hard and I couldn't get it going. That's why I switched over to FSTexConvert. Let us know if you find a way.

Dear Misho:I understan ha FSConvert.exe is easy and qick but he quality of the mipmaps is poor and low, compare a DXT! generated by Imagetool and a DXT1 generated by FSTexConvert.Tomorrow i ill post a image showing that difference.I was succes assigning an Alpha Channel to my slices with DXTConvert and saving the image like Targa format, then i open it with Imagetool and i converted the Taga Image to DXT1 and created the mipmaps.imagetool -terrainphoto -e bmp *.tgaAnd ready, high qualiy dxt1 with Watermask.Is there a way to assign Alpha Channel in batch to bitmaps with the same name in other folder like FSTexConvert, to convert the bitmaps with Alpha channer with Imagetool?Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Dear Misho:I have attached a image showing the difference between a DXT1 bitmap created with FSTExtConv and Imagetool.The solution i have found is convert in batch with FSTextConv the slices to Extend Bitmap 32 bits 8-888 with Alpha, and then convert that (32bits 8-888 with Alpha) bitmaps to DXT1 with:imagetool -terrainphoto -e bmp *.bmpThat works well the quality is almost like the imagetool but much more better than the DXT1 generated by FSTextConv.I advice to use the 32 bits image with alpha output becuse is the better quality image.I test my phototerrain scenery and the quality was very good, and the water effect incredible, is other thing fly with phototerrain with water effects!!!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/49197.jpg49197 Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/49197.jpg

>I test my phototerrain scenery and the quality was very good,>and the water effect incredible, is other thing fly with>phototerrain with water effects!!!Thank you Alfredo.SO - an extra step in imagetool to get the good quality - not so bad. However - I have to enable editing of the custom FSTexConv parameters.

Dear Misho:The best solution in that FSTextConverter can export Targa Images with alpha to convert the *.targa bitmaps to DXT1 bmps with image Tool.Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru