Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottR

Small mesh into big Photoscenery?

Is it possible to insert small Mesh areas into a bigger Photo SceneryI did not test the latest Terrabuilder. Where is something to read about this problem. I know, that was a big problem written in this forum years ago. What had happened till now??Peter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Peter: Of course it's possible. I can't see the advantage.The opposite is recommended. The files of mesh terrainfor large areas are generally light ones; and photoscenery files are heavy.Better if you use a mesh terrainfile covering all your photo terrain area and neighboring. Celso

CelsoI have a real large mesh in my www.flylaf.comBut I want to build a dam at the see there. in dam area I need more detaled LOD mech.Can I insert small mesh into large mesh there?Peter

Peter,hi: Yes, of course you can do that. You can merge a mesh with other, or apply a mesh over adefault or pre-installed mesh. But the mesh that has a biggerLOD will appear over. A pratical example: FS2002, Rio de Janeiro scenery, Microsoft present a awfulversion of Pao de A

Thanx Celso,can you give me your E-mail? Please get my E-mail from my page.Pit

Pit:Sorry, I forgot. Pardon my fault.My adress is stentor@terra.com.br .CelsoPS.: I did copy your mail adress from the other message.

One way to do this is with Ground2k. You can even use the same photo bitmap as you used with Terrabuilder. With G2k use the "remesh" option and you can adjust the underlying mesh just around the area of your dam, or if you want a raised flat area you can just create a polygon with a specific altitude that will "drag the surrounding terrain down or up to its level. The polygon won't show up since the photo terrain covers it. I use this method for making lakes in a phototerrain appear "flat" when the underlying mesh doesn't match the photo.

I just downloaded:ground2k_for_beginners_121649.zipThanx, yes, that looks good this tutorial. Now is the situation, my area has LOD 8 Mesh and I need small Dam area LOD 10. Do you think, I can insert LOD 10 into LOD 8 ? Ok I will see.Pit

You can flatten or remesh as small an area as you like. A good place to start is by creating a flat area at the altitude you want. Start your project and load your (terrabuilder) bitmap photo (follow the tutorial closely). Go to "create a new line, lake, shore", place the cursor where you want your poly to start, "click" and the dialogue box should open. Select "poly without shore" and in the LWM section set the altitude (in metres) of the flat area you want to create . The poly can be either water or land since neither will appear once your terrabuilder photo scenery is over the top. If you leave the altitude setting at the default -9999, then the poly (either water or land) will simply hug the underlying terrain and you won't see any difference with the photo terrain covering it.Now start drawing your polygon around the area you want flat and finish with "escape". Create the bgl and install it in a suitable folder in FS with a priority lower than your photo scenery (or I think it works even in the same folder).In flight sim, the area of your poly should be flat and at the altitude you set with the surrounding terrain "pulled" up or down to match it. You can create two polys in the same project at different altitudes to match your dam water levels. Using the "remesh" option applies point altitude changes to the underlying mesh but it can be fiddly trying to achieve the effect you want, and you tend to end up creating pointy peaks.