Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

".inf" file missing with Terrabuilder

After using the photo wizard in Terrabuilder I try to make a BGL file but it says yhen that the ".inf" file is missing. Are you supposed to make this yourself? Any other ideas? This is the lite version. BTW, I found the textures for Terrascene. It's the scenerymaker for Fly! It uses tiles and usgs info. During the process it outputs a tga file that is really nice looking, even though it uses tiles. It may even have a dirt road that was never any different.Epi

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I do not use terrabuilder now. But as I remember is photo wizard for FS2000 only. The Resampler for FS2002, FS2004 needs the INF.Pit

Do not use PhotoWizard - use PhotoTerrain wizard. Also, download the tutorial from the site, please.

I had the same problem.I did what Misho suggested.The inf error did not happen.However, it still does not make a bgl file!?I used to do this with the lite version, but am using pro now and my lite version doesn't work anymore!!!I would appreciate knowing how to make a bgl after following the tutorial. What is the next step?***************You can ignore the rest of this posting, it is tirade on scenery software followed by a recounting of my experience as a beginner, and, I am polite about it (LOL).***************It is difficult for beginners to do this. All beginners must have the same initial problems over and over and keep posting them on this site. I could not find a tutorial for terrabuilder other than what Misho suggested. The tutorial says that the 'scenery' and 'texture' files are created. My texture files were created but no bgl (I assume that is the scenery file!!!). So many fundamentals are not addressed in the tutorial, it is a quick way to push the buttons and get someting produced, but no explanation. Also, no explanation of the tool bar and what the buttons do. Further, can this program insert api (is there any other way to make a macro? the free gmax does not allow export, it would be great to use) and can terrabuilder make a curved coastline with waves on the shore or must the bmp file have that in it? Ah, so many questions, and every web site I go to for 'tutorials' do not go over the fundamentals but assume that we beginners know every acronym and what it does. I have spent 6 hours reading web sites that claim to offer help in Terrabuilder and have not learned anything new! (In fairness, I just joined this site yesterday and am spending time reading it in hopes of learning answers for my problems). The stuff I see is not explained, it is demonstrated, it shows the author knows what to do but not how to expain it. I think every beginner must go through this struggle to understand scenery software programs judging by the questions asked in this forum. I can only depend upon a thoughtful and empathetic soul to help me (and all beginners). It appears that no scenery program has adequate features or documentation. I want to make sceneries quickly and have them solid and place objects in them. Little did I know how difficult it is to do both! I went through this problem with Airport (which I abandoned, it was not easy to use), FSSC (which was much easier, but with struggle I made 6 sceneries, but with problems like mountains flashing into view very close to you and with too many building apis they flicker in and out of view), Terrabuilder lite (which I made 3 meshes but can't add api or runways), GMAX (lite? free version) which was very difficult to learn amd will not export to api only plasma and I could not find a comverter, heck for all I know it's 2D!, 3DEM which flat out didn't work easily and I abancdoned, Easy Object Designer which is not easy and so I abandoned it too, Terragen which only feeds altitude bmps into Terrabuilder and has no single point control, Mountain which did not move mountians for me, Middleman which could not start because the link to the microsoft SDK with the plugin for GMAX was broken further frustrating export from GMAX, SCASM which was a complete mystery and thankfully Terrabuilder just needs to point to it in the preferences, Terrify which I never used because I have not gotten far enough in understanding all the formats (obviously!), TGPBuilLib I abandoned because it needs OpenGL which I didn't investigate further, Visual Object Designer which turned out not to design but be a series of textures, and Wilbur which works but is a lot of work. Indeed, the world of scenery creation has two major philosophies, piece-parts (Airport, FSSC), or single-surface (mesh generation). I think you guys who know how make sceneries have a secret, you have spent countless hours learning! I wanted to learn a program in 10 hours or less, not possible! Because you are so advanced on the "learning curve" compared to a beginner like me I understand how you can create the excellent sceneries you do! I as a beginner have outlined here my search for an easy way to make solid sceneries and have not come to find it. I hope this forum is the right place for me to learn new things. And as my beginner's frustration gives way to experience, perhaps I can help other beginners!

Epi,yes I understand You. But I did read the half only. There I find words like BGL, gmax, Airport, FSSC. Now assume a newbee more than You read this and will not know, about what You talk.Can You make a underatandable tutorial on my page if you understand once?But You are right, I just looked at Terrabuilder and did not realy find what You can do with Terrabuilder and what You can do not. Terrabuilder makes nothing what can be done with Airport. Terrabuilder will take out all Microsoft scenery including Autogen in Your area and will replace all wby Your new photo-scenery.Then You can insert Gmax objects and Airpoert APIs into your fine new scenery.Pit

Hello whatever your name is,You are absolutely correct - the principal problem with creating add-ons for Flight Simulator is the lack of well-written manuals for beginners, manuals containing easy-to-understand explanations of terms and processes.This lack of good manuals is due to the fact that we, all of us making scenery, aircraft, or utilities, are just enthusiasts like you. We like this game, it is our hobby, not our job, and we are not, for the overwhelming majority, either computer programmers or graphic artists. So, we do what we can and struggle along as best possible.Perhaps you might consider that this is a game, a pastime, a hobby. It should not be frustrating or unpleasant. A good approach is to relax and take it easy. Not being able to understand design techniques or making progress on projects should not generate frustration.We are here to help beginners as much as we can. But, you can help us as well by establishing first of all what it is exactly that you want to do.You seem to have tried a lot of different programs that do a great variety of things. It seems as if you are trying to do too much at the same time. If you want to create custom ground textures (photo-real ground textures), then TerraBuilder is the right program for the job. Misho, who created it, is not a business, he did this to help us, and of course, he does have a life and cannot spend all his time on it.So, please determine first what it is that you want to do. Then, find out the best tools for the job - we can advise you on this. If you have trouble understanding anything, do not hesitate to ask; no question is too lowly for a forum that is, after all, dedicated to helping beginners.Finally, please do not get frustrated. With a little focus and help, you too can start to get the hang of design techniques and will soon see how easy it all is.Best regards.Luis

Luis,Thank you for making time to respond!I have tried many scenery softwares. I am frustrated, you could see that! LOLOL!My hobby is CFS 1. It may not be supported by the new Terrabuilder Pro. I replied to Misho's general post asking if CFS 1 is supported. I have found Terrabuilder to make simple the task of making meshes. Misho has done a great job! I can only hope CFS 1 is still supported.I have made 3 meshes with earlier version of Terrabuilder Lite. I am most happy with them and their graphic stability over FSSC!I just bought Terrabuilder Pro. I found a 4096 x 4096 color satellite photo for the texture and then copied it and reduced it to 1024 x 1024 greyscale for elevation. I ran it through Terrabuilder Pro, after following the tutorial and picking Phototerrain, the bgl did not work in CFS 1. So, I wonder if CFS 1 is no longer supported?Cheers,The Blimp Buster

Hello whatever your name is,Unfortunately, the creation of altitude mesh is no longer supported by TerraBuilder, even though that step is still included in the Wizard. TerraBuilder will now only create custom (photo-real) ground textures, although you can still use the inf file (modified) to make an altitude mesh, I suppose.Your best bet is either to use the earlier version of TerraBuilder that did support this mesh creation, or to make the mesh another way. There are plenty of mesh creation utilities available and they are generally easy to use.Please do not hesitate to ask for help here or in the other scenery fora. We were all like you once, striving to understand, and thanks to help from others, we were able to master some of these techniques.Best regards.Luis