Sign in to follow this  
Guest pit

Important Announcement about TerraBuilder!!!

I am very excited to announce that the TerraBuilder is about to make a radical and important shift in its scenery design philosophy. The current version of TerraBuilder is (unofficialy) version 2.0 beta (even though the official designation is version 1.98).I have been researching and looking into the best way to provide a front end interface to Microsoft's Terrain SDK. For the next version, I was going to implement Direct3D to have a fully-functional and interactive 3D mesh editor.Then - I looked into Discreet's GMAX - the editor that is FREE and it even comes with the PRO edition of FS. After some tinkering I realized that everything I need is already in it, so why re-invent the wheel?I'm pleased to say that I have already done some preliminary development and the future looks bright indeed. There are a few outstanding issues that I still have to iron out, but if everything goes well, we will have one very capable and cool tool available for mesh design and editing.So, in short and unofficially:TerraBuilder 3.0 will be a GMAX Utility application and it will support fully-interactive, visual mesh editing with import and export functionality. I believe that, aside from Microsoft, TerraBuilder is the only third-party FS developer that supports GMAX.Stay tuned and check this forum often for updates. Within a few days I will post some screen shots of the work in progress!Best regards,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have just realized the today's date:This is NOT an April Fool's joke :D

How many days is a 'few'? :)I was thinking that, seeing the added functionality of the new GMAX SDK, it should be easy enough to create a whole airport/scenery using just one interface. The only thing which put the idea on hold was the fact that there seems to be no simple way to represent place-holder objects so that they are recognisable as the object they represent.Terrabuilder 3.0? Bring it on!!!

Update:Thanks for your interest. I have applied for "Sparks" license - it is Discreet's developer community. They have to approve a plug-in that will export the file format because, frankly, it is possible to make GMAX into a fully-fledged 3DS MAX with a few sneaky plugins.The package will be a combination of GMAX scripts a plugins and it will, for starters, let you design a LOD patch of landscape in a full 3D enviroment.I'd love to post some screenshots, but TB site is still down (it has been intermittantly up) so until that is back up I have no place to host the pics.

If You mail me one (or more) pics I can host at 'flylaf.com/TB/...'pit