Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Update

I have contacted Discreet, the makers of GMAX, and found out that they would charge $1200 for a one-year license for development of GMAX plugins. I find this a bit high, especially if they are trying to push their software to become an industry standard for creation of game content. What is especially odd is that they charge $400/yr for development of 3DS MAX plugins. I guess they figure GMAX plugins would be a lot more popular because the GMAX is free.I am trying to see if I can get a deal on this, given I am not a large publishing house, while still charging minimal price (I'll try to keep it below $40) to cover the costs of development. Stay tuned.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only thing surprising about Discreet's price is that it is so low. I guess that these developer fees are the only income Discreet have from producing GMAX, but I bet they don't make too much distinction between someone like MS, who purchase a 'gamepack', and someone like you who basically just wants to add to the functionality of MS's gamepack.I'd talk to MS about this, and see if you can piggy-back off their development license -- they may want to control the type of data which goes into the simulator, but this isn't a bad thing really.They really stand to gain from extending GMAX, it really depends of how they would take to supporting one developer...

Thanks for the insight!The only thing that I would need GMAX for is the standardised interface and display - MS is already using GMAX and it would make sense to unify all the developer tools under one app. Yes - the fees are low for a large developer house, but not for a one-man show like me.If the answer comes back negative, I'll take a crack at a windowed D3D app (I did work on this a while ago but I don't have the latest DirectX SDK) and see if I can come up with something useful without too much pain...