Sign in to follow this  
Guest Deimos

Problem with incorrectly scaling and shifting textures..

For the record, I have run the tutorial..Here is what I have done: I have an aerial picture over EHAM, to the resolution of approx 8m/pixel for which I know the coordinates of the upper left and lower right corners. Using the PhotoTerrain Wizard (and this is LITE version btw) I create a new project using this bmp and type in the boundaries. TerraBuilder now "complains" the scale is not 4.8m, but happily gives me instructions as to what the bmp should be resized to. I do this, compile and inserts the scenery into FS2004, together with an exclude.bgl which I got from ExcBuilder, same coordinates and removing all objects.FS2004 displays the bmp in the correct position, although it is cropped. Probably this is due to the bmp not being aligned on the LOD-grid (how the **** do I do that anyway?), so I add a canvas according to the instruction on the TerraBuilder website. I reload TerraBuilder and obviously now the scale has changed. So I use "Calibrate Extents" from the popup-menu (have tried both 2-point and point-scale) to reposition the 2 known points, and this works according to the scene-properties on the right-hand side of TerraBuilder. Recompile and copy the scenery to FS2004.. and disaster.First, depending on the size if the canvas the image can still be cropped (ie, I don't see the expected output in the TempTextures folder), even if the bmp in TerraBuilder is displayed as passing beyond a LOD-grid with only the canvas. This is not expected.Secondly, the positioning is off by a significant amount, and what's worse is that some sort of rescaling has occured. It used to be that the runways in the photo actually lined up with the runways drawn by FS2004, but now the size of my bmp does not match the size of the FS2004-runway.So something is up.. and I have no idea what. Help someone?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I managed to fix scaling and shifting, by creating a new project through the wizard. Presumably the old one had became corrupted, but how?Anyway, the top of my photo is still not displayed, it's as if the top tile-row isn't being displayed. Does someone has tips on why this might be the case here?Misho, question for you: What exactly is it that is supposed to convince me to upgrade to TerraBuilder PRO for $33? While I certainly don't expect a LITE beta-version to be perfect, at least it could have included better documentation. As it is now, I'm left wondering what of the quirks and problems that remain inside the PRO-version.

>I managed to fix scaling and shifting, by creating a new>project through the wizard. Presumably the old one had became>corrupted, but how?How does a multi-million dollar probe become space junk when it gets to Mars? I have no idea how something may become "corrupted" - there are way too many factors involved, from a HD hiccup to a cat walking over a keyboard when you're not looking. As with everything, scenery design takes practice to get right. For instance, some of the "mistakes" you are making are well known limitations of the FS2004 scenery display engine - LOD grids not completely filled in by the texture will be ignored, simple as that. TB is a front end to MS tools and since they provide those tools as-is, I have no control over it.>Anyway, the top of my photo is still not displayed, it's as if>the top tile-row isn't being displayed. Does someone has tips>on why this might be the case here?>I have seen the odd behaviour in certain areas, especially around airports. Don't be surprised if the chunks of the scenery are superceded by the default scenery. Area around the airports is a "gray zone"... I am not sure about this, but I think when using photorealistic design around the airports, EVERYTHING needs to be re-done. The default scenery must be completely de-activated and the new set of runways created.>Misho, question for you: What exactly is it that is supposed>to convince me to upgrade to TerraBuilder PRO for $33? While I>certainly don't expect a LITE beta-version to be perfect, at>least it could have included better documentation. As it is>now, I'm left wondering what of the quirks and problems that>remain inside the PRO-version.>I am constatly encouraging people NOT to buy PRO version and get familiar with LITE first. Most folks find LITE adequate for their needs. As it stands, LITE version does the same as PRO because some of the PRO features have become obsolete with the advances in scenery design, and some are in the process of upgrade (altitude map format import). I advertise this fact in this forum constantly which is reflected in my (non-existant) sales. When v3 comes out, it's a different ball game as the feature set will be completely upgraded, and the users with PRO licences will be able to upgrade for a fraction of a price. Bottom line: The software you're using is free, and it works.

>How does a multi-million dollar probe become space junk when>it gets to Mars? I have no idea how something may becomeSorry, that was more of a rethorical question.. I can see it didn't come out that way though.>I have seen the odd behaviour in certain areas, especially>around airports. Don't be surprised if the chunks of the>scenery are superceded by the default scenery. Area around the>airports is a "gray zone"... I am not sure about this, but I>think when using photorealistic design around the airports,>EVERYTHING needs to be re-done. The default scenery must be>completely de-activated and the new set of runways created.Ok, I'll continue to look into it.>Bottom line: The software you're using is free, and it works.Yes, it works - once you know exactly how to use it. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, that wasn't the intention, but I still feel you would gain from documentating the differences better. For example, your FAQ at TerraBuilder.com says that the LITE is a scaled down PRO.. scaled down in what way? As in "lack of bugfixes"? As in "no documentation" (other than a "quick tutorial")? And so on.I don't mind the free "provided as is" version, especially since I'm _guessing_ that you don't make a living out of this and have to spend your free time building the application. I wouldn't mind supporting your work, sort of saying "thank you" by spending $33 for the PRO version, but I really do like to know that I'm getting something for it. Such as documentation, such as a version that does not crash every time I do something wrong while I'm trying to learn.I'll look forward to version 3 then.Regards