Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Gmax in Terrabuilder

Misho....I read your post about the possible (but financially impractical for TB) use of GMAX (to modify terrain) and I found a long time ago that creating custom terrain shapes was easy (create a geosphere and edit) it. However, I found texturing the surface to blend it realistically into the surrounding terrain surface very difficult. I assume the only way you could have planned to do so would be to use a DXT3 format map and feather the transparency wherever the GMAX surface and the default surface joined. This seems as if it would be a long iterative process, and still might not be very satisfactory. Any thoughts from you and other posters?JohnC (still a photoreal bigot :()

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I agree, it would be difficult to achieve blending. This would actually not be a function of GMAX at all, I would probably have an external app that would apply a random fringe blend as a post-process. Not sure if DXT3 can handle 1 or 8 bit alpha, but even 1 bit would be acceptable (which means only one level of transparency, either 100% transparent or opaque). It would be possible to render some kind of a blend pattern on the edges of the photorealistic scenery and achieve blending that way.GMAX was actually going to be used primarily as a high level terrain modifier. It is easy to quickly create terrain by simply defining a quad patch and applying some noise and scaling to it...