Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dash80

Using TerraServer with USAPhotoMaps

For those of you that haven't used it, USA PhotoMaps is a great freeware program that automates downloading scenery from MS Terraserver. I'm modelling my local airport with all the training VFR areas. With PhotoMaps I was able to select the 1meter resolution true color photos newly available in TerraServer. Photomaps downloaded the individual bitmap tiles as stored in Terraserver. However, in order for this to be useful in places like TB, you have to create a single bitmap of large dimensions. For a small area that is 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile, this generally isn't a problem, but for large areas like I'm modelling (30x30 miles), this is a BIG problem. Essentially I have 6 GB's of photoscenery but no way to get it into TerraBuilder. The program that converts the downloaded tiles into one big file requires more RAM as the input images size on disk. For 6 GB of tiles, this is obviously an impossibility. I can load the tiles with any paint program from Photoshop to ACDSee, which leads me to believe they are raw bitmaps.Can TB be made to load bitmap tiles from the output of USAPhotomaps instead of just one large file (which is impossible for me to make)?I really don't see how my project can exist given this serious limitation.ThanksEnrique==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Let me see if I understand this:I have used USAPhotoMaps and I love it, as I used to download each individual map and stich it in Photoshop layers. USAPhotoMaps stiches them for you and saves them as one big map, right? Up to a certain size, that works in TB, but large files are a problem. Unfortunately, you will find this a problem with ANY program: Photoshop chokes to a standstill when a large map is opened. When I read your question, it sounds like you want to export a whole bunch of small segments from USAPhotoMaps into TB and have TB stich them. TB doesn't do that. The best solution is to limit the size of images (say 8192x8192) and make several projects that border each other, having a slight overlap. Projects should border each other on the LOD grid rather than arbitrarily. Having them overlap just slightly will make each project truncate the partially filled LOD grid element, making it end/begin precisely where it is supposed to in relation to the neighboring tile.

Sort of... the problem is that it downloads tiles that are 256x256 or 512x512 (or something small like that). In any case, it's no different than me sitting there hitting PRTSCRN and pasting each thing into photoshop manually, then splitting things up. The problem is that this approach will take many many months to do (I tried it once). I was hoping that perhaps a future version of TB could read the output from Photomaps and spilit things up for you. ==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.

As far as I remember, that's not true. I know that the app lets you save the image as a whole, not as tiles. Then, all you need to do is import it into TB and it does the rest. The only work needed in PS is colorizing.

The same author of USA Photomaps created a DOS helper app named BigJPEG. It takes a range of tiles and makes a giant JPEG out of it. Problem is, it requires alot of memory. So if I wanted to do a 10x10 mile plot, it's simply too big. That's why I was wondering if TB could be written to import the tiles, and handle the parsing within itself, to bypass BigJPEG.BTW, Terraserver now has 1meter COLOR imagery.==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.