Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Basic Questions about TerraBuilder

I'm in a difficult situation, and I'm hoping someone will be willing to answer a few basic questions about TerraBuilder's capabilities.I currently have TerraBuilder Lite installed. I've tinkered with Flight Sim Scenery in the past, using Airport, but I've inherited a fairly important training project with a deadline. I realize there's a fairly sharp learning curve ahead of me, but I've also reviewed about twenty different peices of software in the past twelve hours.It APPEARS that Terrabuilder is capable of loading a BMP file and creating textures and a BGL Mesh based on that. However, I am not clear whether that is actually something that TerraBuilder can do NOW, or whether it is something that TerraBuilder is intended to do in the future. I've read through the Forum, and seen messages which led me to believe both things.I should add that it's very difficult to tell from Lite. For example, the Tutorial screens are wrong for Lite, and Lite also insists on 1024x1024 graphics, and won't load the tutorial files without changes.I'm not unwilling to buy Pro, but I'd like to find out if it actually does what I need it to. Much of the mystery seems to revolve around what the devil the Altitude Map is. The Tutorial handily says "we won't use this," and I can't find any particular written help saying what to do with it.At any rate, can someone tell me if it is worth buying Pro, in that it will actually do the process I need it to? I'd be deeply appreciative.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Just to add - if anyone can direct me at any written help on altitude, I would be deeply appreciative. It may be in the Help for Pro, but I can't tell...I want to note I'm not a drastic cheapskate, but I've got probably $300 worth of small $29.00 software packages in front of me and I can't buy them ALL - I need to identify the ones that I can actually use. I'm not trying to get other folks to do my work for me - I'm happy to be pointed to more detailed written information here or elsewhere. I'm just not finding the details I seem to need.

Hi,Thanks for asking those questions, they are all legitemate and I'm sure a lot of other users will benefit.>It APPEARS that Terrabuilder is capable of loading a BMP file>and creating textures and a BGL Mesh based on that. >Correction: TB is NOT capable of creating a FS2004 compatible mesh as of yet. The "altitude map" option is the legacy of the older FS releases with different terrain engines. TB can only create photorealistic scenery overlaid on top of existing mesh.>However, I am not clear whether that is actually something>that TerraBuilder can do NOW, or whether it is something that>TerraBuilder is intended to do in the future. I've read>through the Forum, and seen messages which led me to believe>both things.I am revamping a whole approach and packaging it into a new, TerraBuilder 3 version. It will be capable of creating photorealistic scenery AND custom, high resolution mesh.>>I should add that it's very difficult to tell from Lite. For>example, the Tutorial screens are wrong for Lite, and Lite>also insists on 1024x1024 graphics, and won't load the>tutorial files without changes.There is only one tutorial available on the web site and that one is the only relevant one. Follow the instructions PRECISELY - there is a huge difference between PhotoWizard and PhotoTerrain wizard - do NOT use PhotoWizard.>>I'm not unwilling to buy Pro, but I'd like to find out if it>actually does what I need it to. Do NOT buy it - wait for the upgrade. I don't want you to be frustrated by yet another piece of software that doesn't do (yet) what you wanted to do.>>Much of the mystery seems to revolve around what the devil the>Altitude Map is. The Tutorial handily says "we won't use>this," and I can't find any particular written help saying>what to do with it.As I said - TB, as of now, produces only photorealistic replacement textures overlaid over the EXISTING mesh.>>At any rate, can someone tell me if it is worth buying Pro, in>that it will actually do the process I need it to? I'd be>deeply appreciative.Again - if you need to re-design mesh - there are a few excellent pieces of software that do that. TB is lagging in this area for now but won't be for long.