Sign in to follow this  
Guest vas_yan

Crop image?

Hi everyone, I am undertaking my first scenery porject with terrabuilder and after considerable efforts I am stuck with finding a way to make my scenery show in FS. My original bitmap was approximately 3300x3300 pixels with a resolution of 0.7 meters per pixel. I used photoshop to shrink it to 485x485 (4.8 m/pixel). I enter the bmp and all the details in terrabuilder (coordinates etc.) and when the bmp is loaded I can see that it covers a single LOD13 square and that it extends to all neighbouring squares.Unfortunately when I add the finished project to the scenery library of FS the new scenery does not show up. From other posts I inferred that there is some cropping to be done to the image, but I don't understand the exact procedure. Am I to crop the picture in a way that I am only left with the area that is within that single LOD13 square? Apologies for the newbie question.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

you may find your image coverage area is just too small to be usable. At minimum you need two lod13 grids filled with data. One trick you can do is to take a screenshot of the area you are covering, and then paste your 485x485 image onto it, do some feathering so the transition looks artistic, and then flatten...now your image dimensions would be equal to the size of your screenshot, hopefully more like 1000x1000 pixels...something of that order.Good luck.Bob Bernstein

Thank you for the answer...I will probably find pictures to cover a bigger area, but I just tried with the small one as a test. Anyway, that piece of info about the minimum two LOD13 grids is invaluable...It could have spared me from several hours of frustration...I am doing a Greek island, called Syros, and I can obtain photography for the city and the adjacent airport (LGSO). My scenery will eventually include a detailed mesh and coastline covering the entire island.Kind regards,