Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

beyond 4.8 m/pix?

Hy all,does exist any tecnique to increase fs default terrain res? 1m photos by Terraserver became useless at this low res.i was thinking to create a 1arc/sec mesh for the area:maybe this could permit to display the textures better?i coul create a polygon,but maybe i could have big loss of fram rate,since the area to covere is a city.Luca:-roll

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This discussion has also been covered in Scenery design forum. As it stands, there is no method that would allow a terrain resolution higher than 4.75 m/pix.In the "old days" there were methods available to create terrain scenery at any resolution, but the resulting scenery had all kinds of problems associated with it: No terrain "hardness" (you could fly right through it), cracks at the seams, and many others. You may still lay scenery polygons on top of the existing default mesh, but I wouldn't recomend this unless the area is completely flat.Then the SDK introduced the photorealistic mesh method and the whole process was homogenized, at the expense of flexibility in resolution. There was some talk that the latest FS9 patch allowed for 512x512 resolution textures instead of 256x256 (which would increase the resolution to respectable 2.4 m/pix) but that proved to be unfounded.Terrain textures reside in LOD13 which is set at 4.75 m/pix. LODs by definition accomodate for 256x256 data set, so there is no hope of "squeezing" a texture in there that's double the size. The only hope is to have MS allow for a LOD14 and LOD15 to host terrain textures...and that's up to them.